Skip to main content

This is the Day: Psalm 118

If you know anything from Psalm 118, if may be this verse, “This is the Day that the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it” (verse 24).

I don’t know about you, but I sometimes need a reminder to “rejoice”. It can become very easy to focus on the things that are wrong or stressful in my life and sometimes I forget to see the good things. I have ruined many good days simply because I have not had the right focus. The question then is, “How do I rejoice in this day?” The rest of Psalm 118 gives us some good ideas.

The first thing to notice is the phrase “Give thanks” (verse 1). Over the last few years, I have come to believe that thankfulness (or the lack thereof) is a “Spiritual indicator”. It shows that we know who is in charge and that we trust God to provide what we need.

Next, the Psalm reminds us “His (God’s) love endures forever”. We need to get that picture in our mind because that is what God is like. He loves us forever.

Verse 3 then says, “In my anguish I cried to the Lord and he answered”. Answered prayer is another reason to rejoice and be glad. We have help. We have hope. We have a direct connection to one who can change things for us. If that is the case, it is no wonder the Psalmist asks, “The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?” (ver 6).

When we focus our eyes on our help and our blessings instead of our problems, then we will have a good place to start rejoicing each day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

Don’t Be a Tourist

                  From the moment that God told Abraham to leave his home and follow him (Genesis 12:1-3), God’s people have understood that they are on a journey.                 That being true, the essential question becomes, “How are you making that journey?”   T here are two options: You can be a tourist or you can be a pilgrim.                   Tourists leave their real life behind for a little while so that they can visit another place.   Generally, they travel in groups and do not mix much with the local people.   They hit the highlights of various regions, but they do not really experience what it is like to live in that part of t...