Skip to main content

Decision Rock

The tour guide had taken us a few hundred feet into the “Lewis and Clark Caverns” just outside Bozeman, Montana when she stopped and said, “This is what we call ‘Decision Rock’. It is called ‘Decision Rock’ because at this point you have to decide to go on with the rest of the tour, or you have to turn back. After this rock, there are no shortcuts out of the cave. If you go on from here, you are committed to going all the way to the end”.
Decision Rock made me think about our faith. At some point, each of us comes to our own “Decision Rock” where we need to decide to stop “playing church”. It is easy to go in a little way, to just stand in the entrance of faith, but at some point we all have to decide, “Am I going to go forward with God, or am I going to turn around and go back?” The reality is that we cannot stand there forever. We have to make a decision.
Jesus told the church in the city of Laodicea, “I know your deeds, that you are neither cold or hot. I wish you were either one way or the other! So, because you are lukewarm – neither hot nor cold – I am about to spit you out of my mouth” (Revelation 3:15-16).
In other words, you have to make a decision. Either go forward or go back. Be either hot or cold, but know that you cannot be both.
Everyone in our tour group decided that we were going on from “Decision Rock” and we were glad that we did. Had we turned back, we would have missed the beauty of the cave ahead of us.
When you get to your “Spiritual Decision Rock” may I encourage you to decide to go forward with God? Do not turn back or you will miss the beauty that he has waiting for you, both now and in eternity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

A Good Funeral

As I write this article, it is Monday morning and I am getting ready to go to a funeral. As I think about the day ahead, I am not anticipating a sad day. There will be sadness in it, some tears will be shed for sure, but this will be a day of celebration. For as long as I have known them, and for many years before that, George and his wife Doris have been faithful followers of Christ. Their faith was not just something that they talked about or something that they had in name only. Rather, it was something that influenced how they lived, what they valued and how they saw their entire lives. George was not a very vocal man, but he was influential. His home was always open to anyone who needed a meal or a place to stay. In fact, that is how I first met them. When I was an intern, preaching in the town of Wawota , I stayed with George and Doris. When our Bible camp needed a place to go for a hayride, George and Doris were the first ...