Skip to main content

Before it's Gone

Luke 4:14-30 says, "Jesus went to his hometown and no one listened to him because they were too familiar with him”. That is my paraphrase anyway. The line that you may know from that section says, “No prophet is accepted in his hometown” (verse 24). In other words, when things are always there, it is easy to overlook them or take them for granted.

One of the biggest challenges in life (I find anyway) is to keep looking at what you have instead of what you do not have. It takes some effort to see your blessings instead of your problems.

In church this week, I asked people if they could see the blessing of their friendships and their families. Then I told them that I was going to give them 30 seconds to get up and say something nice to the people around them. When I said, "Go" everyone jumped up and it was one of the nicest things I had seen in a long time! People were laughing, talking, hugging and smiling. It was not something that I had planned to do, but it was really special. For a moment at least, we remembered how much we really like one another and how much we would miss someone if they were not there.

A line from a Toby Mac song says, “You never know what you’ve got till it’s gone”. Well, I am going to make an effort to change that in my life. As this new week starts and I go back to my routine and my "familiar" stuff, I am going to try to see the good and not the bad. I am going to try to focus on my blessings and not just my problems. I am going to try to appreciate the familiar things in my life, instead of just overlooking them. I am going to try to know what I have before it is gone, because I think that may change how I live each day.

How about you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

Don’t Be a Tourist

                  From the moment that God told Abraham to leave his home and follow him (Genesis 12:1-3), God’s people have understood that they are on a journey.                 That being true, the essential question becomes, “How are you making that journey?”   T here are two options: You can be a tourist or you can be a pilgrim.                   Tourists leave their real life behind for a little while so that they can visit another place.   Generally, they travel in groups and do not mix much with the local people.   They hit the highlights of various regions, but they do not really experience what it is like to live in that part of t...