Skip to main content

Relay Reflections

I only agreed to do it because I was asked, but I would do it again in a heartbeat. Estevan’s version of the Canadian Cancer Society’s “Relay for Life” was a hoot! Seriously, it was a ton of fun! Good visits, lots of food, staying up all night, good weather, entertainment (the “Mr. Relay” portion was a little disturbing to watch – but terribly funny at 2:30 in the morning) and lots of people made it a great event. It was more than just fun, though. It was inspiring!

In a time when people say, “No one cares about anyone but themselves anymore” here were several hundred people giving their time to help others.

In a time when people say, “Teenagers are lazy and don’t know how to work anymore” a pile of kids proved them wrong. When I arrived, there were teenagers everywhere! They were hanging signs, giving people rides, putting out chairs and generally doing what needed to be done.

In a time when people think, “We have lost our sense of community” I saw people who were doing something positive for one another.

The two best attitudes that I saw that night, however, were “hope” and “encouragement”. Maybe not surprisingly, those are two very Godly words.

Romans 15:13 says “May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit”. Hope should be one of the key identifiers of God’s people. There is no place in the kingdom of “the God of Hope” for those who see nothing but “gloom and doom”. That is not who we are and that is not how we are supposed to live! We are to “overflow with hope” because God is at work in us, through us and around us.

That hope then leads us to encourage others. While describing how the early church shared with one another, Luke highlights the actions of one man: “Joseph, a Levite from Cyprus, whom the apostles called Barnabas (which means ‘Son of Encouragement’), sold a field he owned and brought the money and put it at the apostles feet” (Acts 4:36-37). “Barnabas” is his nickname! It is a description of who he was and what he did. He was a “Son of Encouragement”! Wow! Wouldn’t it be great if someone could say of us, “Every time I am with [fill in your name] I come away feeling better and encouraged”. Many of our encounters seem to have the opposite effect, but Barnabas was notable because he lifted other people’s spirits.

I was thrilled to see “Hope” and “Encouragement” on display at the “Relay for Life”. It was an inspiring night, but it does not have to end there.

If we walk with God, we can live with “Hope” and “Encouragement” each day [and even into eternity], because those two words are God’s words.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

A Good Funeral

As I write this article, it is Monday morning and I am getting ready to go to a funeral. As I think about the day ahead, I am not anticipating a sad day. There will be sadness in it, some tears will be shed for sure, but this will be a day of celebration. For as long as I have known them, and for many years before that, George and his wife Doris have been faithful followers of Christ. Their faith was not just something that they talked about or something that they had in name only. Rather, it was something that influenced how they lived, what they valued and how they saw their entire lives. George was not a very vocal man, but he was influential. His home was always open to anyone who needed a meal or a place to stay. In fact, that is how I first met them. When I was an intern, preaching in the town of Wawota , I stayed with George and Doris. When our Bible camp needed a place to go for a hayride, George and Doris were the first ...