Skip to main content

Just when I thought I had Something figured Out

The annual “Estevan Rodeo Parade” goes down 13th avenue, right past our church building and this makes it a popular place to gather. People come and sit on the lawn, or in the shade of the building. It is really nice.

What makes the day even nicer is that, every year, one of our church members, a man named Richard, always gives my girls some money and sends them to Dairy Queen for ice cream. This year our girls said, “You know what? We think that it is our turn to buy ice cream for Richard”.

That made me happy. I mean, here are my kids thinking about other people, remembering the kindness of someone else and wanting to pay it back (even if it was with my money). They wanted to be generous, so Sara gave them some money and they ran off to Dairy Queen to buy dilly bars for Richard.

When they came back, we told the girls to go down the line of people and hand out the ice cream.

Now, what I meant was, “Hand it out to our friends”.

However, my youngest daughter did not get that message.

Instead, she just kept going and asking everyone, “Would you like some ice cream?”

My first reaction was to yell to her, “Stop! You are going too far. We don’t know those people!”

Then I realize something: These people were really happy that someone was offering them free ice cream. Megan was meeting a whole new bunch of people and they were being very kind and gracious to her.

Now here is the thing: I thought I was being generous, but I wasn’t. In fact, all I was really doing was paying Richard back for all the years that he was generous to us. By only sharing with the people that I knew, I had sort of missed the point.

In a section that talks about how we treat people, Jesus asks, “If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that?” (Matthew 5:46-47) In other words, if you are only “evening up” with people, you really are not being generous. If you only do things for others in hopes that they will return the favor, you really have not done anything special.

The point: I hope the parade route continues to go past the church building and I hope that people continue to feel free to come, sit there and watch it with
us.

With what my daughter taught me about generosity this year, who knows? You may even get some free ice cream.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

A Good Funeral

As I write this article, it is Monday morning and I am getting ready to go to a funeral. As I think about the day ahead, I am not anticipating a sad day. There will be sadness in it, some tears will be shed for sure, but this will be a day of celebration. For as long as I have known them, and for many years before that, George and his wife Doris have been faithful followers of Christ. Their faith was not just something that they talked about or something that they had in name only. Rather, it was something that influenced how they lived, what they valued and how they saw their entire lives. George was not a very vocal man, but he was influential. His home was always open to anyone who needed a meal or a place to stay. In fact, that is how I first met them. When I was an intern, preaching in the town of Wawota , I stayed with George and Doris. When our Bible camp needed a place to go for a hayride, George and Doris were the first ...