Skip to main content

Details

When I was a kid, I liked jumping my bike off ramps. One day I thought, “If I set up a ramp in the side yard, then I can race down the hill beside the house, swing into the yard and hit the ramp with some real speed.” Everything was great until the bike left the ramp. That was when I noticed that I was heading straight toward the front step.

The bike landed on the front tire. With the back tire in the air, I could not stop and with all the weight on the front tire, I could not steer. Hitting the step, I jammed the end of the handlebar into my stomach so hard that I could not breathe for what seemed like several minutes.

I learned something about foresight, planning and taking care of little things that day.

The time to plan your landing is before you take off. The time to think, “Is this a good idea” or “Is this safe” is long before you are racing down the hill. After that, it is too late.

Jesus often spoke about the importance of looking after the “little things”. In Matthew 25, he tells the story of a man who called his servants together, gave each of them a sum of money and told then to put it to work until he came back. Upon his return, he called his servants to give an account of what they had done. Those who had used their money wisely heard the master say, “Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness” (verse 21).

In all aspects of our lives, little things determine bigger things. The tiny decisions that we make every day, while seemingly unimportant at the time create an overall direction for our lives. Ultimately, those little details will determine where we will end up.

The trick is that the “little things” never seem very pressing or urgent. It may be tempting to think, “Ah, I have lots of time. I will do those things later”. When that happens, things like spending time with your family, spending time with God, being generous and a whole list of other “little things” get put on the back burner. However, one day it will be too late. The master returns, the opportunity passes and we are asked, “What did you do with the little, but important, things?”

Do the little things now while you still have the chance.

Once the bike is in the air, you will land where you pointed yourself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Consider This: Who Needs Worship?

  Why does God need our worship? The events of Matthew 14 provide at least one answer.   This chapter starts with the beheading of John the Baptist (verses 1-12). This is the first in a series of events that indicate things are about to become much more difficult for the believers. Next, the scene shifts to a crowd gathered on a hillside in Galilee. After listening to Jesus teach all day, the apostles realized that these people had nothing to eat. They brought the problem to Jesus. He took a child’s lunch and fed the entire group of five thousand men plus women and children. Afterwards, they picked up twelve baskets of leftovers (verses 13-21).   Then Jesus told them to get in a boat and cross the Sea of Galilee. As they went, a storm arose, and the apostles were scared. They struggled along until Jesus came to them walking on the water. Peter tried walking on the water too and sank. After Jesus rescued Peter, they got into the boat, and the storm immediately s...

A Spiritual Makeover (1 Peter 1:13-16)

 Three responses to the new life God has given us.  https://youtu.be/FmqX5-3jOKc  

Consider This: Something to Hold On To

      If you have never stopped to see the Swinging Bridge in Souris, Manitoba, you should add it to your list of things to do. I like it. Others do not. It feels wobbly. It bounces up and down. I have seen people in the middle of the bridge holding on and screaming because it feels too unstable. Of course, there is nothing to fear. The bridge has huge anchors at each end and is secured by steel cables, but sometimes, our feelings make us forget the facts. Peter knows that his readers are about to face some scary situations. He does not want their feelings to obscure everything else, so he outlines three truths they need to remember. First, their hope is greater than their troubles. “For a little while, you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that your faith – of greater worth than gold… may be proved genuine and result in praise, glory and honour when Jesus Christ is revealed” (1 Peter 1:6-7). Not...