Skip to main content

Preparing ahead of Time

“We are going to be in the Hudson.”

Those were the last words that the air traffic controllers would hear from US Airways flight 1549.

\ Until that point, everything had been routine. The lift off from New York’s LaGuardia airport was uneventful and the aircraft was gaining altitude. Approximately two minutes later, at 3,200 feet (980 m) the airliner flew into a flock of “Canada Geese”. Moments later, Captain Chesley Sullenburger made his first distress call stating, "Hit birds. We lost thrust in both engines. Returning back towards LaGuardia."

As the Captain turned the airliner back in a southbound direction, it soon became obvious that they did not have the altitude or the air speed to make it back to the airport. Sullenburger asked if there was another option. Air traffic control responded that “Teterboro” airport in New Jersey was to his right.

As the plane passed over the “George Washington bridge” (at a height of less than 1000 feet), Captain Sullenburger was told that he was cleared for landing at Teterboro. He responded, “We can’t do it. We are gonna be in the Hudson”.

To me, one of the most interesting parts of this whole event is listening to the Captain as this unfolded. He sounds completely calm and in control throughout the entire ordeal (To hear the tape of the flight, go to “Wikipedia” and search for “Miracle on the Hudson”). Even when he states that they are going to ditch the plane in the river, there is not a trace of panic in his voice.

Later, when reporters asked him what he was thinking as he said those words, Sullenburger responded, “I was thinking, ‘I can do this’”. When asked to elaborate, he explained that all pilots are trained to deal with emergencies, including water landings. He simply recalled what he had been taught and put it to use.

In other words, he was prepared for the crisis long before the crisis came.

I do not know what you are going through right now. Maybe you are in a time of crisis and you are trying to “land your plane”. If that is true, I pray that you remember where your hope, help and strength can be found.

If, however, things are good right now, may I remind you that this is no time be lazy about Spiritual things. Rather, this is the time to be praying, reading, learning and developing a relationship with the Lord.

Now is the time to prepare for whatever is to come, so that you too can say, “I can do all things through him who gives me strength” (Philippians 3:13).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

Don’t Be a Tourist

                  From the moment that God told Abraham to leave his home and follow him (Genesis 12:1-3), God’s people have understood that they are on a journey.                 That being true, the essential question becomes, “How are you making that journey?”   T here are two options: You can be a tourist or you can be a pilgrim.                   Tourists leave their real life behind for a little while so that they can visit another place.   Generally, they travel in groups and do not mix much with the local people.   They hit the highlights of various regions, but they do not really experience what it is like to live in that part of t...