Skip to main content

You are Richer than you Think


 
            “But he did not realize that the Lord had left him” (Judges 16:20).

           That verse, said of Samson, is maybe one of the saddest verses in the entire Bible and it leads to a lesson that we need to hear.

            Samson was special from the beginning.  Before he was born, an angel told his parents that Samson was to be “set apart to God” (Judges 13:5) to do great things.  As signs of this special relationship with God, Samson was to avoid wine and fermented drinks, observe the special Jewish dietary rules and, most visibly, never cut his hair. 

            The trouble began when Samson fell in love with a woman named Delilah. She was a “Philistine”, one of the enemies of God’s people and soon her friends talked her into finding out the secret of Samson’s great strength.   Three times she asked him to tell her the secret and three times Samson protected himself by giving her false information. 

            Now, we are not told exactly why Samson finally gave in.  Maybe Samson became complacent about his relationship with God and began to think, “It does not really matter what I do.  God will be with me”.  Maybe he became a little arrogant and thought, “I am strong now and I will always be strong.  No one can stop me”.  Whatever the reason, Samson finally let his guard down, shared his most valuable secret and that is when we hear the words, “The Lord had left him”.

           So what can we learn from this?  One simple rule:  If you do not value what you have, you will not have it for long.

           Samson’s special relationship with God was a great gift, but he threw it away because he did not value it enough to protect it.  I wonder how many blessings we are throwing away, or are missing out on, simply because we do not value them enough.  

            The cure:  We need to learn to celebrate what we have, where we are while we can.

           The fact is that things change.  Your kids will grow up and leave home.  Your parents will pass away.  Your job will come to an end someday.  One day you will wish you could come back to this time, to these blessings. and relive them, so maybe it is best to look around and value what you have before it is gone.

            Samson did great things for God, but his life would have been even more effective if he could have seen his blessings and valued them more.

           That is probably true of all of us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Don’t Be a Tourist

                  From the moment that God told Abraham to leave his home and follow him (Genesis 12:1-3), God’s people have understood that they are on a journey.                 That being true, the essential question becomes, “How are you making that journey?”   T here are two options: You can be a tourist or you can be a pilgrim.                   Tourists leave their real life behind for a little while so that they can visit another place.   Generally, they travel in groups and do not mix much with the local people.   They hit the highlights of various regions, but they do not really experience what it is like to live in that part of t...

A Good Funeral

As I write this article, it is Monday morning and I am getting ready to go to a funeral. As I think about the day ahead, I am not anticipating a sad day. There will be sadness in it, some tears will be shed for sure, but this will be a day of celebration. For as long as I have known them, and for many years before that, George and his wife Doris have been faithful followers of Christ. Their faith was not just something that they talked about or something that they had in name only. Rather, it was something that influenced how they lived, what they valued and how they saw their entire lives. George was not a very vocal man, but he was influential. His home was always open to anyone who needed a meal or a place to stay. In fact, that is how I first met them. When I was an intern, preaching in the town of Wawota , I stayed with George and Doris. When our Bible camp needed a place to go for a hayride, George and Doris were the first ...