Skip to main content

Everyone needs a Nathan



            The Bible does not say much about the prophet Nathan, but I know one thing:  I want a friend like him!

            After King David’s affair with Bathsheba (if you are not familiar with this story, you can read about it in 2 Samuel 11), Nathan is given the job of confronting the king.  Now, this is a scary thing because, if he makes the king mad (and telling him that he is wrong is a good way to do that) it could cost him his life.  Not only does Nathan go, but he is able to present the truth in such a way that David not only admits his sin, but commits to changing his ways.

            Everyone needs a “Nathan”!  

            The truth is that it is easy for me to rationalize my behaviour and to make excuses for myself.  I can be absolutely wrong and completely unable to see it all at the same time.   Everyone needs someone who can speak truth into their life.  Sometimes we need an outside voice, because our inner voice will defend anything we choose to do, regardless of whether it is right or wrong. 

            That is one of the valuable things about Christian friendships and Christian fellowship (such as in the church).   A good friend who shares the same values and the same outlook can help you maintain those values and that outlook.  Proverbs 27:6 says, “Wounds from a friend can be trusted”.  In other words, a real and valuable friend is one who will step in and say the things that you need to hear when you need to hear them.  If I never hear an outside voice, or if I surround myself only with people who say what I want to hear, I am in big trouble.

            Everyone needs a “Nathan”!

            One last thought:  Please find your Nathan early.  Too often, people wait too long before discussing their problems.  By the time they do, the issue has been hidden for so long and has become so large that, when it finally does explode, it is virtually impossible to put the pieces back together.  The time to ask for help, the time to get a perspective on your life, is now.  Do not put it off, or it may be too late.

            We live in a very individualistic time that, for the most part, says. “Handle your own problems”, but everyone needs a sounding board.  Everyone needs a good friend who can “speak the truth in love” (Ephesians 4:15).

            Everyone needs a “Nathan”!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

Don’t Be a Tourist

                  From the moment that God told Abraham to leave his home and follow him (Genesis 12:1-3), God’s people have understood that they are on a journey.                 That being true, the essential question becomes, “How are you making that journey?”   T here are two options: You can be a tourist or you can be a pilgrim.                   Tourists leave their real life behind for a little while so that they can visit another place.   Generally, they travel in groups and do not mix much with the local people.   They hit the highlights of various regions, but they do not really experience what it is like to live in that part of t...