Skip to main content

First Responders


            The “As then/so now” principle states that past habits are the best predictors of future actions.  In other words, regardless of your dreams or your best intentions, you are likely going to keep doing what you have always done.  King Josiah is an exception to this rule.

            Josiah became king when he was eight years old (2 Chronicles 34:1).  At the age of sixteen he began to seek the God and when he turned twenty he cleared all the idols out of Jerusalem and the surrounding area (verse 3).  At the age of twenty-six, he reopened and repaired the temple in Jerusalem (verse 8). During the renovation, the workers found a book of the law of God and they immediately brought it to the king and read it to him (verses 14-18). 

            Now, many times when this story is told, it is stated that finding the book of the law was the turning point in the life of Josiah.  However, that is not true!  Finding the truth was not the important part.  Rather, it was his reaction to the truth that made the difference.  Josiah “tore his robes” (a sign of sorrow and repentance).  He also sent men to find a prophet who could tell him what to do next (verses 19-21).   To underline this point, God says, “Because your heart was responsive … I have heard you” (verse 27).

            Knowing the truth is not enough.  Most of us know that too much coffee is bad for us and, yet, we still drink too much coffee.  We know that regular exercise is a good idea, but few of us actually exercise.  Most people know that they should have between three and six months’ worth of income saved up, just in case.  However, most people live paycheque to paycheque.   Knowing the truth is good, but it requires a response.

            This has direct application to churches and their work.  Over the years, I have heard people say, “Well, we told them the truth!”   As if to say, “We gave them all the information about God, so we have done our job!”  

            No you have not!

            Nothing will change in our world until we are changed.  People will respond to God’s truth much more quickly when they see God’s people being changed by that truth.  People need examples.  People need to see the truth in action.  Christians need to do more than just talk about the answers, we need to live them.

            Josiah changed his world because he did not just acknowledge the truth.  Rather, he allowed himself to be changed by it and invited others to be changed too.

            Thinking and talking are ok, but God has always worked through those who “do”.

            “Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says” (James 1:22).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

Don’t Be a Tourist

                  From the moment that God told Abraham to leave his home and follow him (Genesis 12:1-3), God’s people have understood that they are on a journey.                 That being true, the essential question becomes, “How are you making that journey?”   T here are two options: You can be a tourist or you can be a pilgrim.                   Tourists leave their real life behind for a little while so that they can visit another place.   Generally, they travel in groups and do not mix much with the local people.   They hit the highlights of various regions, but they do not really experience what it is like to live in that part of t...