Skip to main content

A Lesson that Takes Time

         “I have made impatience a virtue.  I call it urgency, a let’s-get-it-done attitude… (However) it is not a quality that serves me well.  Most things that matter take time.  They cannot be forced or rushed.  They can only be treasured and savoured, or else missed entirely” – Mark Buchanan.

           I probably do not have to convince you that most of us are impatient.  All you have to do is watch people waiting for the train to get through town, or see them in a long line at the grocery store to know that we do not like to wait.  In fact, last week someone in my house complained that the microwave was taking too long.  Think about that for a minute.  We have a device that heats food in three minutes and that is still too long to wait!

            While we wish we could hurry things along, especially bad things, the truth is that most circumstances just take time.  Often, pushing and forcing things only makes the issue worse.  I have found that out the hard way while working on cars.  The nut or bolt that you determine to “force out” often breaks leaving you with a worse situation than the original problem.  A little patience often saves a lot of pain.

            Obviously, people require our patience as well.  No one is in the same place as you.  We all come from different backgrounds and experiences, so it makes sense that we are going to have to, as Ephesians says, “Be patient, bearing with one another in love” (verse 2). 

            I once read an article about an antique motorcycle ride in Northern Saskatchewan.  It was called “Geezers on Wheezers”.  The ride has only one rule: The pace is set by the slowest bike.  Everyone will go as far and as fast as the slowest one in the group.  I like that!  If we treated everyone with that same sort of consideration, we would really have something.

            Now, being patient does not mean sitting around and doing nothing.  Rather, biblical patience is the idea that I am going to do what I can and then I am going to wait and trust God to work out the rest.  It may not all come out the way I want and it certainly may not be easy, but, in time, a resolution comes.

            The key is to trust that God is at work in all circumstances and with all people.  That, in turn, will allow us to focus on this day and to see the beauty that is around us right now.

            “Those who wait upon the Lord will renew their strength” (Isaiah 40:31)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

A Good Funeral

As I write this article, it is Monday morning and I am getting ready to go to a funeral. As I think about the day ahead, I am not anticipating a sad day. There will be sadness in it, some tears will be shed for sure, but this will be a day of celebration. For as long as I have known them, and for many years before that, George and his wife Doris have been faithful followers of Christ. Their faith was not just something that they talked about or something that they had in name only. Rather, it was something that influenced how they lived, what they valued and how they saw their entire lives. George was not a very vocal man, but he was influential. His home was always open to anyone who needed a meal or a place to stay. In fact, that is how I first met them. When I was an intern, preaching in the town of Wawota , I stayed with George and Doris. When our Bible camp needed a place to go for a hayride, George and Doris were the first ...