Skip to main content

Three Life Changing Words



            By now we all know about the terrible and horrific events that unfolded on Parliament Hill and at the National War Memorial on October 22nd.  What you may have missed is the role that Barbara Winters played on that day.
            Winters, a lawyer and a former member of the Canadian Forces Naval reserve, was walking to her office near the Canada Revenue Agency building when she heard the unmistakable sound of gun fire.  She began to run, not towards safety, but toward Cpl. Nathan Cirillo.
            When she arrived, several others were tending to his wounds, so she did the one thing she could do: she held his head and began talking to him saying, “You are a good man.  You are a brave man.  You are loved.”  She told him to remember that he was doing something good by serving his country and standing guard.  “Your family loves you.  Your parents are proud of you.  Your military family loves you.”  She kept repeating these words until Cpl. Cirillo passed away in the arms of those who were try to save him.
            Later, when asked why she said those words to him, Winters replied, “When you are dying, you need to be told how loved you are.”
            That last line hit me hard and made me wonder, “What am I telling people?  What do people most often hear from me?”
            I mean, if I really believe that the people around me are dying spiritually (Ephesians 2:1 tells us that apart from Christ we are “dead in our sins and transgressions”), am I saying the right thing?  Sadly, most of the time my words sound like this; “Try harder”, “Do better”, “Stop doing this” and “Start doing that”.  My sermons, classes and even my personal interactions often point out where we need to change, but what if that is not the starting point? 
            What if Barbara Winters is right?  What if people simply need to hear that they are loved?  What would happen if I talked more about God’s grace and his forgiveness?  What if nothing really changes in people’s lives until they understand that “God loves you”?
            “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him” (John 3:16-17).  
            When we start with that message, dying people (including me) find life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

A Good Funeral

As I write this article, it is Monday morning and I am getting ready to go to a funeral. As I think about the day ahead, I am not anticipating a sad day. There will be sadness in it, some tears will be shed for sure, but this will be a day of celebration. For as long as I have known them, and for many years before that, George and his wife Doris have been faithful followers of Christ. Their faith was not just something that they talked about or something that they had in name only. Rather, it was something that influenced how they lived, what they valued and how they saw their entire lives. George was not a very vocal man, but he was influential. His home was always open to anyone who needed a meal or a place to stay. In fact, that is how I first met them. When I was an intern, preaching in the town of Wawota , I stayed with George and Doris. When our Bible camp needed a place to go for a hayride, George and Doris were the first ...