Skip to main content

Why We Worship



            “Google maps” has a “satellite” feature that allows people to see the earth from the air.  Take a guess as to what most people do with that feature.  If you said, “They use it to look at their own town” you would be close.  More specifically, most people use it to look at their own house (At church when I asked “Who has done this?” 80% of the people raised their hands.  Those who didn’t don’t use the internet!).
            Why would you look at your own house?   You know what your house looks like!  In fact, you are probably sitting in your house while looking at a satellite picture of it!  Why do we do things like this? 
            We do it because we are the centre of our own worlds.  In other words, I am the most important person to me!  I care more about my problems than anyone else’s.  My thoughts and ways of doing things are more “right” than yours because they are mine.  Think about this: Who do people talk about most often?  Themselves!  Left to our own devices, everything revolves “me”.
            That is why worship is important!
            Worship is the mechanism that breaks my pre-occupation with myself and helps me focus on God.  Worship, both private and public, is the thing that kicks me out of the centre of my life and puts God there.  When that happens, suddenly I have new values and new goals.  More than that, I have a new way of measuring success.  Everything changes when we worship.  Jesus even modeled this truth for us.
            In Luke 22 we find him in the Garden of Gethsemane on the night before his crucifixion.  He does not want to die.  In fact, he is praying for a different way.  However, his prayer and his worship ends where all worship times should end; “Not my will, but yours be done!” (verse 42).  Worship was the thing that allowed even the Son of God to refocus and put God’s will at the centre of his life and that is what it ought to do for us as well.
            As someone once said, “Worship is not our time to rest up and get re-energized so that we can rejoin the rat-race.  Rather, worship is the thing that allows us to ignore the rat-race altogether!”  Worship puts things in their rightful place.
            Why do we worship?
            We do not worship because God needs it; we worship because we do!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Don’t Be a Tourist

                  From the moment that God told Abraham to leave his home and follow him (Genesis 12:1-3), God’s people have understood that they are on a journey.                 That being true, the essential question becomes, “How are you making that journey?”   T here are two options: You can be a tourist or you can be a pilgrim.                   Tourists leave their real life behind for a little while so that they can visit another place.   Generally, they travel in groups and do not mix much with the local people.   They hit the highlights of various regions, but they do not really experience what it is like to live in that part of t...

A Good Funeral

As I write this article, it is Monday morning and I am getting ready to go to a funeral. As I think about the day ahead, I am not anticipating a sad day. There will be sadness in it, some tears will be shed for sure, but this will be a day of celebration. For as long as I have known them, and for many years before that, George and his wife Doris have been faithful followers of Christ. Their faith was not just something that they talked about or something that they had in name only. Rather, it was something that influenced how they lived, what they valued and how they saw their entire lives. George was not a very vocal man, but he was influential. His home was always open to anyone who needed a meal or a place to stay. In fact, that is how I first met them. When I was an intern, preaching in the town of Wawota , I stayed with George and Doris. When our Bible camp needed a place to go for a hayride, George and Doris were the first ...