Skip to main content

The Math of Happiness

            “If I just (fill in the blank) then I would be happy!”
            That is the way most people think.  They focus on their circumstances and believe that if certain things changed, then they would find happiness.  The problem is that years of research have proven that it is not true. 
            Those who study such things tell us that only about 10% of your happiness comes from your circumstances.  In other words, some people are rich and happy and others are rich and miserable.   Some are poor and miserable and some are poor and happy.  Happiness levels are about the same no matter what people have or lack.  You know this from your own experience.  Some changes are life-altering (a death for instance), but most things affect us for a little while and then the feeling fades away.  That new car that you wanted so badly eventually becomes just your car.  Moving to a new town may provide a lift, but after a while it is just the place where you live.  In time, your new circumstances become your “new normal” and then you start looking for another change to make you happy. 
            A bigger factor in the equation is your inner makeup or disposition which contributes about 40% of your happiness.  One does not have to be around babies very long to realize that some are smiley and content and others are fussy and more easily upset.  You can influence some of this over time, but the truth is that some people simply have a brighter disposition than others.
            The remaining 50% of your happiness is determined by what you choose to think about.  The key word in that sentence is “choose”.  Most of your happiness hinges on something that is very much under your control.  You can think about bad things and ruin your day, or you can think about good things.  That one decision will have more to do with whether you are happy or not than anything else that happens to you.
            In an section about rejoicing and living a peaceful life, Paul writes, “Brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things” (Philippians 4:8).  Their joy was going to be determined by their thinking.
            You can argue with the percentages, but I do not think that you can argue with the truth.
            Happiness starts inside of us, not outside.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

A Good Funeral

As I write this article, it is Monday morning and I am getting ready to go to a funeral. As I think about the day ahead, I am not anticipating a sad day. There will be sadness in it, some tears will be shed for sure, but this will be a day of celebration. For as long as I have known them, and for many years before that, George and his wife Doris have been faithful followers of Christ. Their faith was not just something that they talked about or something that they had in name only. Rather, it was something that influenced how they lived, what they valued and how they saw their entire lives. George was not a very vocal man, but he was influential. His home was always open to anyone who needed a meal or a place to stay. In fact, that is how I first met them. When I was an intern, preaching in the town of Wawota , I stayed with George and Doris. When our Bible camp needed a place to go for a hayride, George and Doris were the first ...