Skip to main content

Commit to the Journey


               Amelia Earhart never suggested that her 1932 solo flight from Harbour Grace, Newfoundland to a farmer’s pasture in Ireland was going to be easy.  However, she likely never expected it to be as harrowing as it became.
                Less than two hours into the flight, her altimeter (the gauge that measures altitude) quit working.  Not long after that, she encountered fog, then darkness and then a storm.  When she climbed to a higher altitude to escape the storm, ice formed on her wings forcing her back down.  Without an altimeter and being unable to see, she could only guess how close she was to the surface of the water.  Soon, she was uncertain as to whether she was on or off course and she had no idea how far she had flown.
                At dawn, she switched to her reserve fuel tank only to find that the gauge had a leak that caused fuel to drip down her neck.  To add to her distress, an exhaust manifold cracked and flames began shooting out of the engine.  After 13 hours in the air, Amelia wrote in her journal that she was flying dangerously close to water dreading that a fire may break out at any moment.
                Finally, she saw a bright green strip of pastureland and landed as quickly as possible.  It was a harrowing 15-hour flight, but she became the first woman to fly solo across the Atlantic.
                One of the reasons that Earhart was successful was simply that she simply gave herself no other option.  She refused to turn back.  She could not land in the ocean.  She had a compass, a heading and a goal and she stayed with it until the end.
                I like that story because it reminds me that amazing things can happen when people live with a purpose and a destination in mind. 
                Jesus said, “I am the way, the truth and the life.  No one comes to father except through me” (John 14:6).  I hope that you have found “the way” and have committed yourself to following it all the way home. 
Life is always better lived when it is heading somewhere.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

Don’t Be a Tourist

                  From the moment that God told Abraham to leave his home and follow him (Genesis 12:1-3), God’s people have understood that they are on a journey.                 That being true, the essential question becomes, “How are you making that journey?”   T here are two options: You can be a tourist or you can be a pilgrim.                   Tourists leave their real life behind for a little while so that they can visit another place.   Generally, they travel in groups and do not mix much with the local people.   They hit the highlights of various regions, but they do not really experience what it is like to live in that part of t...