Skip to main content

The Greatest Gift


                John the Baptist had one job and that was to “prepare the way for the Lord” (Luke 1:76).  He did that by highlighting three blessings that Jesus would bring. 
                First, he talked about a restored relationship with God.  Reunions can be wonderful.  In fact, many of you are looking forward to the Christmas season because of the reunions that will take place.  John said that Jesus would come, “To give his people the knowledge of salvation through the forgiveness of their sins, because of the tender mercy of our God” (verses 77 and 78).  Sin separates us from God, but through his Son, God gives us a way home.
                Next, John spoke of Jesus as “The rising sun [who] will come to us from heaven to shine on those living in darkness and the shadow of death” (verses 78 and 79).  The world can seem like a dark place, but Jesus brings the light of hope that allows us to see the beauty that surrounds us.  The world can be a scary place, but Jesus can change our world. 
                Lastly, John spoke about how Jesus would “Guide our feet in the path of peace” (verse 79).  One of my favorite pictures of Jesus comes from Matthew chapter eight.  He and his friends are in a little boat on the Sea of Galilee when a huge storm comes up.  His friends are scared and they believe that they are going to drown, so they call out to Jesus, but he is not worried.  In fact, he is fast asleep!  When he wakes up, he asks, “You of little faith, why are you so afraid?”  Faith is rooted in the belief that God is in control and that there is more going on than what we see or perceive.  One of the best marks of spiritual maturity, then, is an attitude of peacefulness. 
                Our world could certainly use some peace, some light and a spiritual connection to our heavenly father. 
                Fortunately, those blessings, and many more, are given to us through Jesus, the greatest gift of all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

A Good Funeral

As I write this article, it is Monday morning and I am getting ready to go to a funeral. As I think about the day ahead, I am not anticipating a sad day. There will be sadness in it, some tears will be shed for sure, but this will be a day of celebration. For as long as I have known them, and for many years before that, George and his wife Doris have been faithful followers of Christ. Their faith was not just something that they talked about or something that they had in name only. Rather, it was something that influenced how they lived, what they valued and how they saw their entire lives. George was not a very vocal man, but he was influential. His home was always open to anyone who needed a meal or a place to stay. In fact, that is how I first met them. When I was an intern, preaching in the town of Wawota , I stayed with George and Doris. When our Bible camp needed a place to go for a hayride, George and Doris were the first ...