Skip to main content

The Amazing Power of Hope

                For as long as I can remember, I have wanted to go to Cape Canaveral, Florida and visit the “Kennedy Space Center”.  Last week, I got my chance. For an entire day, Sara and I wandered around marvelling over rockets, spacesuits and moon rocks.  It was incredible!
                The amazing thing about the space program is that it was built entirely on hope.  When John F. Kennedy made his famous speech stating that the United States was going to put a man on the moon before the end of the decade, America had put a grand total of one astronaut into space.  In fact, that historic flight by Alan Shepherd was not even an orbital mission.  All he did was go up and come back down.  In other words, NASA had no plans, no hardware and no capability to do what the president said they were going to do.  All they had was the hope that they could do it, but that hope made all the difference.          
                In the beginning, the rockets failed more often than they flew, but they looked at one another and said, “We are going to the moon!”   
                As their understanding and ability increased, they looked at one another and said, “We are going to the moon!”
                Even when a series of huge mistakes took the lives of three astronauts on Apollo 1, the hope of going to the moon moved the program forward and, because of that hope, they did not stop until they reached their goal.
                Hope is powerful!  Hope is fuel that keeps us going.  Hope enables us to dream, plan, think and see possibilities even when our circumstances are less than desirable.  Hope is essential for growth, progress and maturity.  When a feeling of hopelessness creeps in, we are done. 
                Knowing this, it should come as no surprise that the Bible says a great deal about hope.  In one instance, Paul says, “I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in his holy people, and his incomparably great power for us who believe” (Ephesians 1:18-19).  If hope sustains us in earthly things, how much more important is a hope that benefits us not only now, but eternally as well?
                Jesus’ death gives us hope and that hope changes everything.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

A Good Funeral

As I write this article, it is Monday morning and I am getting ready to go to a funeral. As I think about the day ahead, I am not anticipating a sad day. There will be sadness in it, some tears will be shed for sure, but this will be a day of celebration. For as long as I have known them, and for many years before that, George and his wife Doris have been faithful followers of Christ. Their faith was not just something that they talked about or something that they had in name only. Rather, it was something that influenced how they lived, what they valued and how they saw their entire lives. George was not a very vocal man, but he was influential. His home was always open to anyone who needed a meal or a place to stay. In fact, that is how I first met them. When I was an intern, preaching in the town of Wawota , I stayed with George and Doris. When our Bible camp needed a place to go for a hayride, George and Doris were the first ...