Skip to main content

You Are The Missing Piece

                If I had to pick one Old Testament story to teach from for the rest of my life, I would pick David and Goliath (1 Samuel 17).  It is familiar, easy to understand and full of lessons about important themes like fear, trust, faith, God and the nature of man. 
                As I read through the incident one more time last week, I was struck by a new thought: “Why did Saul allow David to fight Goliath?”  Saul knew what was on the line.  The challenge stated that each army, the Philistines and the Israelites, would chose a warrior and they would fight each other.  The loser’s country would then become the slave of the winner.  With all that hung in the balance, why did Saul allow his nation to be represented by a shepherd boy with no fighting experience when he literally had an entire army of fighting men at his disposal? 
Here is my guess.  I think Saul sent David because he suddenly realized that David was God’s man for this job!  He understood that God had picked and prepared David for that moment.  Certainly, that was David’s argument.  When told about how he had protected his father’s sheep by killing bears and lions, he emphasized that fact that God was with him (verses 34-37).  To David, and apparently to Saul, these events were not flukes.  Rather they were practice!
This theory carries even more weight when you remember how Saul became King.  He did not seek the position.  He was not from royal blood.  He became King only because God chose him (1 Samuel 9).  Saul understands, from personal experience, that sometimes there is only one person for a specific job.
What has this got to do with us?  Well, I wonder if we have forgotten to look for God’s purpose in our lives?  Maybe faith has become so focused on what we do and on our personal choices that we have forgotten that God prepares us and positions us to do certain tasks for him that only we can do.  After all, “We are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do” (Ephesians 2:10).
God has opened some doors that only you can walk through.  Are you ready? (Romans 12:1-8)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

Don’t Be a Tourist

                  From the moment that God told Abraham to leave his home and follow him (Genesis 12:1-3), God’s people have understood that they are on a journey.                 That being true, the essential question becomes, “How are you making that journey?”   T here are two options: You can be a tourist or you can be a pilgrim.                   Tourists leave their real life behind for a little while so that they can visit another place.   Generally, they travel in groups and do not mix much with the local people.   They hit the highlights of various regions, but they do not really experience what it is like to live in that part of t...