Skip to main content

Get Out of the Way

                I grew up valuing toughness.  I blew out my knee playing football in high school. Though it was black and blue for three months and I could not bend it in the morning, I did not go to the doctor.  Several times, I have had to teach on Sunday morning with deep gashes on my face after being cut with a stick or a puck while playing hockey.    My only regret is that they did not leave better scars.  In the thirty years that I have worked for the church, I have used eight sick days.  To me, being tough is a good thing.
                Imagine my joy, then, when I decided to preach through 2 Timothy!  This letter is full of words like, “guard” (2 Timothy 1:14), “Be strong” (2:1) and “endure” (2:3).  In fact, those three words were going to form my sermon this past week, until I read the verses more closely.
                “You then, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus” (2 Timothy 2:1).  Other versions say, “Be empowered by” or “Find the source of your strength” in the grace of Jesus.  Timothy was not asked to be courageous and to step up.  Rather, he was told to do the work of God by the power of God.  
                Also, Timothy was told to guard the gift he was given, but he was to do so “by the power of the Holy Spirit that lives in you” (2 Timothy 1:14).  Again, it was not about Timothy’s strength, but about his ability to submit and let God work through him.
                How many blessings have we forfeited because we thought we could run God’s church by our own strength?   How many preachers, Sunday school teachers, and elders have burned out because they tried to carry the load alone?  How much joy did we miss by trying to tough it out?
                If Timothy, with all the advantages he had, could not do God’s work by his own strength, what chance would I have of doing it that way?
                Fortunately, our toughness was never God’s concern in the first place.
                “We constantly pray for you, that our God may make you worthy of his calling, and that by his power he may bring to fruition your every desire for goodness and your every deed prompted by faith” (2 Thessalonians 1:11).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

Don’t Be a Tourist

                  From the moment that God told Abraham to leave his home and follow him (Genesis 12:1-3), God’s people have understood that they are on a journey.                 That being true, the essential question becomes, “How are you making that journey?”   T here are two options: You can be a tourist or you can be a pilgrim.                   Tourists leave their real life behind for a little while so that they can visit another place.   Generally, they travel in groups and do not mix much with the local people.   They hit the highlights of various regions, but they do not really experience what it is like to live in that part of t...