Skip to main content

(New Article) Comparing and Competing


                 “You are still in Estevan?” 
                That statement was said with a mixture of amazement and questioning, with the emphasis on the “still” part. 
                My college buddy could not believe that I was still here.  Since our graduation, he had moved four times, always climbing the ladder to bigger churches.  In fact, he has become so well-known that he is now in demand as a speaker at many large events.
                Meanwhile, I am still in Estevan.  June 4th marked the end of my 30th year here and I could not be happier!  I love the people of this congregation so much that they have become like family.  I love living in a smaller city where you can not only get to know people well, but you see them often.  I love being involved with the speedway and going to Bruin games.  I love the fact that I do not have an hour-long commute to work.
                From my friend’s perspective, I am sure it seems like I have failed.  However, from my perspective, I could not feel more blessed.
                So, which one of us made the right choice?  Both!
                Here is the thing: My life is not diminished by his success.  Whether he, or anyone else, gets to do more, see more, or have more does not affect whether my life is good or not.  Conversely, my longevity in one community does not make his shorter-term stays look bad.  Each of us is doing what we think is best and living out of the blessings that we have been given.
                While it is true that comparing and competing with one another can inspire us to be better, sadly, most of the time all it does is discourage us and make us discontent.
                Here is the truth:  My life is not made better or worse by anything you do or do not do.  My life, just like yours, is guided and secured by Christ.
                As Jude 24 states, “To Him who is able to keep you from stumbling, and to present you faultless before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy.  To God our Savior, who alone is wise, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and forever. Amen”.
                That is the only measurement that matters.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

A Good Funeral

As I write this article, it is Monday morning and I am getting ready to go to a funeral. As I think about the day ahead, I am not anticipating a sad day. There will be sadness in it, some tears will be shed for sure, but this will be a day of celebration. For as long as I have known them, and for many years before that, George and his wife Doris have been faithful followers of Christ. Their faith was not just something that they talked about or something that they had in name only. Rather, it was something that influenced how they lived, what they valued and how they saw their entire lives. George was not a very vocal man, but he was influential. His home was always open to anyone who needed a meal or a place to stay. In fact, that is how I first met them. When I was an intern, preaching in the town of Wawota , I stayed with George and Doris. When our Bible camp needed a place to go for a hayride, George and Doris were the first ...