Skip to main content

Hope in the Middle of Darkness

                  Imagine being a shepherd watching sheep at night.  Now imagine watching sheep for years and years of nights.  That does not sound very interesting or overly exciting.  Yet, one night, was unlike any other.

                “And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night.  An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified” (Luke 2:8-9).

                Of course they were terrified!  However, that fear did not last for long because the angel said, “I bring you good news of great joy… a saviour has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord!” (verses 10-11). 

                Then that strange night became even more strange when a crowd of heavenly beings appeared saying, “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men on whom his favour rests” (verse 14).

                You know what happens next:  The shepherds decide to go and see the baby and after they do, they “Spread the word concerning what had been told them about this child” (verse 17). 

                Here is part of the story that you might not remember:  Scripture notes that, after this, “The shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God” (verse 20).  Returned to what?  To watching their sheep at night.  They went back to their fields and back to the darkness, but I imagine that they never saw the darkness in the same way again.  How could they?  From that day forward, every starry night had to remind them of the time that God broke into their boring, dark lives with news of joy, hope, and light.

                I like that the shepherds heard the message in the night. 

                Remember too that Jesus was born before the angel appeared.  In other words, Jesus was born at night.  You may also recall that on the resurrection morning, it was still dark when the women got to the empty tomb.  Jesus rose in the night!

                This has been a tough year.  In big and small ways, it has been filled with frustration, worry, and sadness, but God has not forgotten us.  He has not fallen asleep.  We are not without hope and light and joy.

                It may seem dark right now, but, thankfully, God still works at night!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

A Good Funeral

As I write this article, it is Monday morning and I am getting ready to go to a funeral. As I think about the day ahead, I am not anticipating a sad day. There will be sadness in it, some tears will be shed for sure, but this will be a day of celebration. For as long as I have known them, and for many years before that, George and his wife Doris have been faithful followers of Christ. Their faith was not just something that they talked about or something that they had in name only. Rather, it was something that influenced how they lived, what they valued and how they saw their entire lives. George was not a very vocal man, but he was influential. His home was always open to anyone who needed a meal or a place to stay. In fact, that is how I first met them. When I was an intern, preaching in the town of Wawota , I stayed with George and Doris. When our Bible camp needed a place to go for a hayride, George and Doris were the first ...