Skip to main content

The Power of Kindness

                 This article is about one of the most important and powerful attitudes in the word of God.  Put into practice, this quality could change all your relationships for the better.  What is this most outstanding concept?  Kindness!

                At first glance, kindness does not seem like a big deal.  In fact, it is a concept that we teach to children.  You go to pre-school and kindergarten, at least in part, to learn how to share and be kind to others.  However, kindness is not childish.

                Kindness is the starting point of every Godly action.  It was God’s kindness that motivated him to save us (Titus 3:3-7).  Kindness is the evidence that God’s Spirit lives in us (Galatians 5:22-23).  Ultimately, “God’s kindness leads you towards repentance” (Romans 2:4).  Kindness is powerful!

                Several years ago, Sara and I got a dog.  I do not like dogs, but I like Sara and she wanted one and so Murphy came to live with us.  When Murphy was being bad, I would try to force him to behave.  I was not mean, but I was strict.  If he pulled on his leash, I would pull him the other way to show him who was in charge.  When he was barking, I would go out and tell him to be quiet, but I would leave him outside.  On the other hand, Sara played with him and gave him treats.  When he was doing something that he should not be doing, she would patiently train him to be better.  Who do you think Murphy loved?  Whose dog was Murphy?  Murphy tolerated me, but he loved Sara!  Her kindness did much more than my strictness.

                If you want to influence someone, kindness is the place to start.  If you would like to change the culture of your workplace, school or family, lead by being kind.  If you want to draw someone closer to God, then start where God always starts, with kindness.

                There is one disclaimer:  If you are in an abusive or toxic relationship, you do not need to be kind, you need to seek other forms of help.  Otherwise, your kindness will be used against you.  However, in healthy circumstances, kindness can work wonders.

                Being kind is not childish.  It is Godly and powerful!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

A Good Funeral

As I write this article, it is Monday morning and I am getting ready to go to a funeral. As I think about the day ahead, I am not anticipating a sad day. There will be sadness in it, some tears will be shed for sure, but this will be a day of celebration. For as long as I have known them, and for many years before that, George and his wife Doris have been faithful followers of Christ. Their faith was not just something that they talked about or something that they had in name only. Rather, it was something that influenced how they lived, what they valued and how they saw their entire lives. George was not a very vocal man, but he was influential. His home was always open to anyone who needed a meal or a place to stay. In fact, that is how I first met them. When I was an intern, preaching in the town of Wawota , I stayed with George and Doris. When our Bible camp needed a place to go for a hayride, George and Doris were the first ...