Skip to main content

The Risk and Reward of Being Real

                  When I heard that pop star, Adele, was broadcasting a concert, I recorded it because I thought my girls might like it.  What I did not expect was that this event would impact me in such a profound way.

                While Adele has a powerful voice, it was not her singing that struck me.  Rather, it was the interview she gave between the songs. 

                Instead of bragging about her success, Adele said things like, “I realized that I had everything, but I was not happy!”  She went on to talk about feeling insecure, lonely, sad, and isolated.  Her career could not have been better, but her life was a mess.

                With a new album coming out, Adele had to make a choice.  She could keep pretending and put out a bunch of songs that did not mean much, or she could be honest and sing about how she really felt.  Being honest was going to be hard, but she realized that being fake is even more difficult, so she wrote a whole album about her real emotions.

                As I listened, I was moved to tears.  It was such an unexpected and brave thing to do.

                We have been trained to be tough.  We are expected to say, “I am fine” when people ask, “How are you?”  We act as if ignoring our emotions and stuffing them down will make them disappear, but they just come out in strange and damaging ways.

                Most surprisingly, we tend to believe that if we are honest, no one will like us, but the opposite is true.  I like Adele more now simply because she was real. 

                One of the most beautiful parts of the gospel message is that we can stop pretending.  God is not impressed with our fake show.  In fact, he is waiting for us to acknowledge our struggles and trust him.  Once that happens, everything changes!

                “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light” (Matthew 11:28-30).

                We will never find our real life by being fake. 

                Maybe it is time to take a risk, be honest, and trust God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

Don’t Be a Tourist

                  From the moment that God told Abraham to leave his home and follow him (Genesis 12:1-3), God’s people have understood that they are on a journey.                 That being true, the essential question becomes, “How are you making that journey?”   T here are two options: You can be a tourist or you can be a pilgrim.                   Tourists leave their real life behind for a little while so that they can visit another place.   Generally, they travel in groups and do not mix much with the local people.   They hit the highlights of various regions, but they do not really experience what it is like to live in that part of t...