Skip to main content

The Graciousness of Jesus

                  On one hand, he was just being honest.  He did not believe it and, regardless of how many people said that it was true, he was not going to change his mind.

                On the other hand, he had been with Jesus for almost three years.  He had seen the miracles.  He had heard the teaching.  He saw Jesus walking on the water.  He saw dead people raised to life.

                More than that, the news that he refused to believe was not just some wild rumour.  He heard it from his best and most trusted friends.  They claimed that they had seen it with their own eyes.

                Yet, Thomas did not believe.  He was not with the disciples when the resurrected Jesus first appeared to them.  He had given up all hope.  “Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand in his side, I will not believe” (John 20:25).

                A week later, the disciples were together again, and this time Thomas was with them.  Jesus appeared and said to Thomas, “Put your finger here; see my hands.  Reach out your hand and put it into my side.  Stop doubting and believe”.  Thomas responded, “My Lord and my God!” and from then on he was no longer “Doubting Thomas”.

                Had I been in Jesus’ place, I likely would have scolded Thomas for his unbelief, but that is not his nature.  Rather, Jesus is kind and patient.  He gives us what we need.  He allows us to grow at our own pace.  In other words, he is gracious with us.

                Sometimes people think that God is a mean taskmaster who only cares that we keep his rules.  Nothing could be further from the truth. 

                We need to understand the gracious, kind, and nurturing father that Jesus came to reveal.

                “May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all” (2 Corinthians 13:14).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

Don’t Be a Tourist

                  From the moment that God told Abraham to leave his home and follow him (Genesis 12:1-3), God’s people have understood that they are on a journey.                 That being true, the essential question becomes, “How are you making that journey?”   T here are two options: You can be a tourist or you can be a pilgrim.                   Tourists leave their real life behind for a little while so that they can visit another place.   Generally, they travel in groups and do not mix much with the local people.   They hit the highlights of various regions, but they do not really experience what it is like to live in that part of t...