Skip to main content

A Gift for the New Year

               “Let your gentleness be evident to all” (Philippians 4:5).

               Sara has set up personalized ringtones on her phone.  Without even checking, we know immediately who is calling because the sound of the ring identifies them.

               The verse quoted above suggests that an attitude of gentleness should play a similar role in the life of a Christian.  Gentleness is the quality that should identify us.  We ought to be known as gentle people.  Every interaction with every person ought to be bathed in this attitude.

               The good news is that this is something that we can do.  Everyone acts and reacts in a gentle way once in a while.  The challenge is to make that the starting point every time, in all situations with everyone we meet.

               In a world where quick tempers and harsh criticisms seem to be on the rise, a gentle approach is more effective than ever.  Gentleness changes the tone of conversations and the outcome of relationships.  After all, grace and gentleness are hallmarks of God’s approach to us.

               Can we make gentleness our ringtone?  Can that be the quality that defines us?

               This one little thought could have an enormous impact on the coming year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

Don’t Be a Tourist

                  From the moment that God told Abraham to leave his home and follow him (Genesis 12:1-3), God’s people have understood that they are on a journey.                 That being true, the essential question becomes, “How are you making that journey?”   T here are two options: You can be a tourist or you can be a pilgrim.                   Tourists leave their real life behind for a little while so that they can visit another place.   Generally, they travel in groups and do not mix much with the local people.   They hit the highlights of various regions, but they do not really experience what it is like to live in that part of t...