Skip to main content

Forgetting What Is Behind

 

                Generalizations are helpful because they show a pattern that is normally true. However, they are also dangerous because they ignore the exceptions to the rule. 

               Here is my generalization:  It is a quality of the strong to be able to forget the past and move on. 

The apostle Paul summarizes this idea when he states, “One thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God had called me heavenward in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 3:13-14).

Too often, we trip over things that are behind us.  We remember and nurse old hurts.  We rehearse mistakes that no one else recalls.  In doing so, we pull the past into the present and allow it to dictate how we feel right now.  In these cases, we would be better off “forgetting what is behind”.  No matter how many times we replay the incidents in our minds, we cannot go back and alter their outcomes.  All we can do is live today and move forward from where we are now.

Incidentally, it is not just our past mistakes that cause us trouble.  Dwelling too much on our former success can cause us to be discontented with our current circumstances.  Too much looking back may make us long for the good old days when we were younger, healthier, and full of potential.  Again, the effect is that we become discouraged with our current life because it is not full of amazing or fulfilling circumstances like those we remember.

Now, here is the exception to this rule:  If there is something from your past that you need to deal with, please get the help you need to do so.  Stuffing your feelings down or pretending that nothing happened is not a healthy way to deal with actual harm or loss.  That strategy will backfire every time.

The issue is that we cannot allow ourselves to be trapped by the past, whether good or bad.  We must continue living in this moment and not spend our days yearning for or regretting what went before. 

It is a quality of the strong to be able to move on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

Don’t Be a Tourist

                  From the moment that God told Abraham to leave his home and follow him (Genesis 12:1-3), God’s people have understood that they are on a journey.                 That being true, the essential question becomes, “How are you making that journey?”   T here are two options: You can be a tourist or you can be a pilgrim.                   Tourists leave their real life behind for a little while so that they can visit another place.   Generally, they travel in groups and do not mix much with the local people.   They hit the highlights of various regions, but they do not really experience what it is like to live in that part of t...