Skip to main content

New Article: The Light of the World


               In 1950, before Alan Shephard became the first American in space, he was a fighter pilot aboard the USS Oriskany.  One night while cruising around the western Pacific, the radar operator spotted two unidentified aircraft and Shepherd was dispatched to go check them out.  After strapping into his Banshee jet fighter, he launched, found the aircraft, and identified them as allies.  That was the easy part.

               Soon, bad weather rolled in, and Shephard found himself in heavy, driving rain.  Unable to see and flying by his instruments, he headed home.  Then his electrical equipment shut down.

               Facing a dire situation, Shephard reverted to his training.  When lost over open seas, pilots are taught to fly a square.  Go so many minutes in one direction, turn ninety degrees and fly that same amount of time in that direction.  Continue doing this until you complete the square.  If you have not located the aircraft carrier, begin flying larger squares until the target is found. 

               The rain made visibility so bad that he had to fly at a very low altitude, which meant that he was burning fuel at a tremendous rate.  Time was running out.  Just as he was preparing to face his fate and ditch his aircraft in the ocean, he saw a dim, red light just ahead of him.  He knew immediately that it had to be the light from the destroyer that sailed on the port side of the aircraft carrier.  With what little fuel he had left, he pointed the jet to where he thought the landing strip should be and put his plane down with only seconds to spare.

               Alan Shephard was saved because he saw a light in the darkness.

               It is not our job to save people.  Jesus has provided everything for a safe spiritual landing.  However, those around you could use a word of hope in times of trouble.  They need grace when judgment is all around.  They might be impressed by someone who does not just talk about Godly principles, but who tries to live them out.

It may not seem like much, but your actions can help people find their way home.

               “You are the light of the world… let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven” (Matthew 5:14-16)   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

A Good Funeral

As I write this article, it is Monday morning and I am getting ready to go to a funeral. As I think about the day ahead, I am not anticipating a sad day. There will be sadness in it, some tears will be shed for sure, but this will be a day of celebration. For as long as I have known them, and for many years before that, George and his wife Doris have been faithful followers of Christ. Their faith was not just something that they talked about or something that they had in name only. Rather, it was something that influenced how they lived, what they valued and how they saw their entire lives. George was not a very vocal man, but he was influential. His home was always open to anyone who needed a meal or a place to stay. In fact, that is how I first met them. When I was an intern, preaching in the town of Wawota , I stayed with George and Doris. When our Bible camp needed a place to go for a hayride, George and Doris were the first ...