Skip to main content

Consider This: Seeing New Patterns

 



               “1N73LLIG3NC3 15 7H3 4BILI7Y 70 4D4P4P7 70 CH4NG3.”

Isn’t that something?  You can read that phrase even though there is not one English word in it.  Your brain is trained to look for patterns, and because it knows what English words and syntax look like, it adapts what you see to make it make sense. 

Your brain does not see what is there.  Rather, your brain sees what you have trained it to see and reacts accordingly.  The same rainstorm that makes a farmer happy makes a golfer mad.  Therefore, it is important to train our brains well.  Here are two truths that will help.

First, God is in control.  While life may feel chaotic and random, scripture reminds us that this is untrue.  “The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged” (Deuteronomy 31:8).   The twenty-third Psalm says, “The Lord is my shepherd… he leads me…. He guides me… He restores my soul”.  We may not understand why we are going through what we are going through, but we can know this: God is in it and with us. 

Second, God is providing.  “Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father” (James 1:17).  We have been entrusted with blessings.  Therefore, since God has been generous to me, I ought to be generous with others.  What I have been given is not mine in the first place!  As Jesus encouraged, “Freely you have received; freely give!” (Matthew 10:8).

When I train my mind to remember that God is in control and is providing what I need, I see those patterns everywhere and meet each new day differently. 

Someone once said, “Daniel slept in a lion’s den.  Peter slept in prison.  Jesus slept in a storm.  No matter your circumstances, you can find peace and rest when you remember that God is with you”.

Practice seeing that pattern.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

A Good Funeral

As I write this article, it is Monday morning and I am getting ready to go to a funeral. As I think about the day ahead, I am not anticipating a sad day. There will be sadness in it, some tears will be shed for sure, but this will be a day of celebration. For as long as I have known them, and for many years before that, George and his wife Doris have been faithful followers of Christ. Their faith was not just something that they talked about or something that they had in name only. Rather, it was something that influenced how they lived, what they valued and how they saw their entire lives. George was not a very vocal man, but he was influential. His home was always open to anyone who needed a meal or a place to stay. In fact, that is how I first met them. When I was an intern, preaching in the town of Wawota , I stayed with George and Doris. When our Bible camp needed a place to go for a hayride, George and Doris were the first ...