Skip to main content

New Article: Overflowing with Thankfulness

 


On the evening of Tuesday, November 11, many people left the warmth and comfort of their homes to stand in the cold on dark, rural roads and look at the night sky. They were lured by the promise of spectacular Northern Lights, and they were not disappointed. Personally, I do not remember ever seeing them so bright and red. Stretching right across the sky and even over the top of us, they were amazing!

The next day, my Facebook feed was flooded with pictures of the Northern Lights. It was as if people could not help themselves. They had seen something so beautiful and amazing that they had to acknowledge and share it.

To me, that is a good picture of what gratitude should look like in our lives. Our blessings should overwhelm us to the point that we must see, celebrate, and share them. Thanksgiving should not be a one-time, limited, “Oh, isn’t that nice!” affair. Rather, it should be a constant mindset and the lens through which we see our world.

To that point, it is interesting to note that, in the Bible, the word that most often modifies the idea of gratitude is “overflowing”. “So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live your lives in him… overflowing with thankfulness!” (Colossians 2:6-7). “The grace that is reaching more and more people [is causing] thanksgiving to overflow to the glory of God.” (2 Corinthians 4:15).

Gratitude makes a difference. As someone pointed out, “Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think”. Or, as Marc and Angel Chernoff state, “No amount of regret changes the past. No amount of anxiety changes the future. But any amount of gratitude changes the present”.

Practice seeing the good in everything instead of focusing on the bad. Let your thanksgiving grow and overflow. Doing so will change your life.

“Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things” (Philippians 4:8).

Could you be described as overflowing with thankfulness?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

A Good Funeral

As I write this article, it is Monday morning and I am getting ready to go to a funeral. As I think about the day ahead, I am not anticipating a sad day. There will be sadness in it, some tears will be shed for sure, but this will be a day of celebration. For as long as I have known them, and for many years before that, George and his wife Doris have been faithful followers of Christ. Their faith was not just something that they talked about or something that they had in name only. Rather, it was something that influenced how they lived, what they valued and how they saw their entire lives. George was not a very vocal man, but he was influential. His home was always open to anyone who needed a meal or a place to stay. In fact, that is how I first met them. When I was an intern, preaching in the town of Wawota , I stayed with George and Doris. When our Bible camp needed a place to go for a hayride, George and Doris were the first ...