Skip to main content

A Focused Life

“Then he [Jesus] said to them all: ‘If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it. What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit his very self? If anyone is ashamed of me and my words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when he comes in his glory and in the glory of the Father and of the holy angels” (Luke 9:23-26)

Yikes! On first reading that does not sound like the Jesus that we often hear preached these days, does it? What is going on here?

As with most Bible passages, the context is important. Jesus has just asked his disciples who they think he is and Peter has replied, “You are the Christ of God” (verse 20). Jesus then tells them that he is going to be killed and raised again on the third day. He then says the things found in the first paragraph of this article.

So why does Jesus sound so strict and restrictive?

Jesus does not say these words to be mean or to make them somehow prove their faith. I think, rather, that he is simply asking them to focus on following him. Without a serious focus on Christ, life can be full of good things and still be a mess.

Think of it this way. What would happen if you went into your kitchen, got your biggest bowl and then mixed together every last piece of food you had in the house? You would end up with a pile of garbage.

Now, what would happen if you restricted yourself to a recipe and used only the ingredients that it specifies? Those same ingredients could make hundreds of good things.

Restrictions are not always bad. In fact, they can help us focus and produce something wonderful.

Jesus offers us a new life, with new goals, new visions, and a new purpose.

While we can never earn this great gift, we are called to live differently in response to it (Romans 6:1-14).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

A Good Funeral

As I write this article, it is Monday morning and I am getting ready to go to a funeral. As I think about the day ahead, I am not anticipating a sad day. There will be sadness in it, some tears will be shed for sure, but this will be a day of celebration. For as long as I have known them, and for many years before that, George and his wife Doris have been faithful followers of Christ. Their faith was not just something that they talked about or something that they had in name only. Rather, it was something that influenced how they lived, what they valued and how they saw their entire lives. George was not a very vocal man, but he was influential. His home was always open to anyone who needed a meal or a place to stay. In fact, that is how I first met them. When I was an intern, preaching in the town of Wawota , I stayed with George and Doris. When our Bible camp needed a place to go for a hayride, George and Doris were the first ...