Skip to main content

Worth a Closer Look

Talk show host and car enthusiast, Jay Leno, heard about an older man in his neighbourhood who was rumored to have an old car in his backyard garage. After finding the man and visiting with him for a while, Leno asked if he could see the car. The man said, “No”. For over 20 years, Leno kept visiting the man and every time he asked to see what was in the garage the man said, “Oh, no, not today. Not today”.

Eventually, the man moved to a nursing home. Jay writes, “So I went to see his daughter. She was now in her 60s but she grew up in the house. I asked her when she was last in the garage. She said, ‘I guess when I was about 4 years old.’ That would have been around 1950. I asked her what was in there and she said, ‘Some old car’.”

He then offered to buy whatever was in the garage, sight unseen. She talked to her dad and he agreed, so they went to the garage, lifted the tarp and found a 1927 Model X Duesenberg Sedan.

What is so special about that? Well, there were only thirteen Model X sedans ever built and only four survive today.

One of the rarest cars in the world was sitting in the garage behind the house and for 60 years, this lady thought it was “just some old car”. Needless to say, she soon found out that what she thought was just junk was actually something incredibly valuable.

If I can draw a very unworthy parallel here, many people seem to think about Jesus in the same way that this woman thought about her dad’s old car. They have heard about him, but they do not see his value. Jesus was a nice guy, an interesting teacher or a good storyteller, but that is about it.

Luke 9, just for a second, Jesus let three of his followers see him, not as just a man, but as he truly was, the Son of God. “The appearance of his face changed and his clothes became as bright as a flash of lightning” (verse 29). That one glimpse of his glory changed Peter, James and John. More than thirty years later, they were still talking about the real Jesus they saw that day (2 Peter 1:16-18).

Have you really seen Jesus?

Sometimes a closer look can be very valuable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

A Good Funeral

As I write this article, it is Monday morning and I am getting ready to go to a funeral. As I think about the day ahead, I am not anticipating a sad day. There will be sadness in it, some tears will be shed for sure, but this will be a day of celebration. For as long as I have known them, and for many years before that, George and his wife Doris have been faithful followers of Christ. Their faith was not just something that they talked about or something that they had in name only. Rather, it was something that influenced how they lived, what they valued and how they saw their entire lives. George was not a very vocal man, but he was influential. His home was always open to anyone who needed a meal or a place to stay. In fact, that is how I first met them. When I was an intern, preaching in the town of Wawota , I stayed with George and Doris. When our Bible camp needed a place to go for a hayride, George and Doris were the first ...