Skip to main content

Knowing or Guessing?

Do you remember those plastic adapters that you used to put in “45 records” so that you could play them on a standard record player? On Sunday morning, I held one of those things up and asked a bunch of kids, “What is this?” They had no idea. Then I turned and asked the adults. There was no uncertainty or hesitation from the “Fifty and over crowd” because they knew the answer (I then asked, “Who knows how to download music from the internet?” – you can guess which group knew the answer this time). There is a difference between knowing and guessing.

That difference becomes very clear when we begin to talk about spiritual things. Are you certain about what you believe or are you just hoping that it may be true? Are you convinced or are you “on the fence”? As John closes his first letter, he gives his readers three big ideas to “know” and be certain about.

First, if you are a Christian, you are safe. “We know that anyone born of God does not continue to sin; the one who was born of God keeps him safe, and the evil one cannot harm him” (1 John 5:18). Too many Christians live in guilt or fear, wringing their hands and wondering if they have really been forgiven. John says that if we have been “born of God” we have changed positions. We are no longer under sin and Satan’s control. Instead, if we have put on Christ (Galatians 3:26-27), our sins are washed away and Jesus himself protects us. We can know that!

Secondly, “We know that we are children of God” (verse 19). “Children of God” is more than a title. It is a description of reality. Think about a child with their parent. How does that child act? Most children trust their parents to look after them. They are simply along for the ride, receiving the good things that come. As we age, we begin to think that we are in charge and that we have to control and worry about everything. Maybe we would live differently if we “knew” that our father is still with us, watching over us and giving us good things (See Psalm 118).

Thirdly, “We know also that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true. And we are in him who is true—even in his Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life” (verse 20). Jesus came tell us about a gracious, loving and merciful God who made a way home for us that is based on his love and goodness, not on our own.

You are safe if you are God’s child, because the offer is based on God’s goodness and not your own.

That is something worth knowing!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

A Good Funeral

As I write this article, it is Monday morning and I am getting ready to go to a funeral. As I think about the day ahead, I am not anticipating a sad day. There will be sadness in it, some tears will be shed for sure, but this will be a day of celebration. For as long as I have known them, and for many years before that, George and his wife Doris have been faithful followers of Christ. Their faith was not just something that they talked about or something that they had in name only. Rather, it was something that influenced how they lived, what they valued and how they saw their entire lives. George was not a very vocal man, but he was influential. His home was always open to anyone who needed a meal or a place to stay. In fact, that is how I first met them. When I was an intern, preaching in the town of Wawota , I stayed with George and Doris. When our Bible camp needed a place to go for a hayride, George and Doris were the first ...