Skip to main content

Some Questions Need an Answer

The interrogation from the “Israeli Airlines” attendant was not unexpected. I had been warned that they had the strictest screening policy in the airline business (even before 9/11).

After taking me aside, asking a bunch of questions and leaving me standing all alone in the middle of “Pearson International Airport”, there was no question who was in charge in this situation. If I wanted to go anywhere, I needed to recognize this man’s authority, answer his questions and do whatever he asked me to do. Fifteen minutes later, he came back, gave me my passport and wished me a good trip.

Authority is not to be fooled with.

“By what authority are you doing these things… who gave you this authority” (Luke 20:2). Over the course of his earthly ministry, Jesus heard those questions many times.

Jesus’ reply is summed up in these words, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me” (Matthew 28:18).

The “Authority of Christ” is not just a subject for theological discussion. In fact, Christ’s authority has some very real and practical applications.

If Jesus really “in charge”, then that means that everything that I do should be filtered through my relationship with him. Christ’s authority should effect how I spend my time, how I spend my money, where I go, what I do and even how I think. Everything I do is important because everything is a reflection of my relationship with him.

However, there is more to it than that. Christ’s authority is also the thing that allows me to share in his blessings. You see, even at my best I am not good enough, smart enough and right enough to be acceptable before a Holy God. The only hope I have is that heaven is opened, not based on my goodness, but on Christ’s. It is on his authority that I am admitted and that is the good news of the gospel message.

Back to my Israeli airlines story for a minute: I could have refused to answer their questions, but that would have been a huge mistake. In that situation, refusing to acknowledge that man’s authority would have only hurt me.

Similarly, we can refuse to acknowledge Christ’s authority. We can live as though we are in charge, but that will not be good for us.

Who has the authority in your life?

The answer to that question is worth some thought, because, I believe, it will make all the difference (both now and in eternity).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

Don’t Be a Tourist

                  From the moment that God told Abraham to leave his home and follow him (Genesis 12:1-3), God’s people have understood that they are on a journey.                 That being true, the essential question becomes, “How are you making that journey?”   T here are two options: You can be a tourist or you can be a pilgrim.                   Tourists leave their real life behind for a little while so that they can visit another place.   Generally, they travel in groups and do not mix much with the local people.   They hit the highlights of various regions, but they do not really experience what it is like to live in that part of t...