Skip to main content

He Goes Ahead of Us

On Wednesday nights, I help with an “English as an additional language” course that our church offers. This past week my friend Juwon and I were reading from Acts chapter 2 where it says that the “believers shared everything with each other” (verse 42). We were struggling with this paragraph because I was having trouble explaining the meaning of the word “shared”. Suddenly, though, he understood and once he had that one word, the rest of the paragraph made sense. Sometimes, one word or one phrase makes all the difference.

This past week I have been thinking about a phrase from the Gospel of Mark. The angel at Jesus’ tomb says these words, “You are looking for Jesus the Nazarene, who was crucified. He has risen! He is not here. See the place where they laid him. But go and tell his disciples and Peter, ‘He is going ahead of you into Galilee. There you will see him as he told you’” (Mark 16:6-7).

The phrase that I have been thinking about is, “He is going ahead of you”. I know that it is completely out of context, but that is a comforting thought, isn’t it? What would it be like to know that no matter what comes, God, his Son and his Spirit have “gone ahead of us”? That not only do they walk with us now, but are leading the way into the future.

I could give you a long list of examples where God’s people find out, much to their surprise, that they are not alone and that God has “gone ahead of them”. Some of the bleakest stories come to some of the happiest endings, not because the people involved did anything, but because God was involved and working long before anyone realized it.

Sometimes it is hard to believe, but if we can become convinced that God “goes ahead of us” then we can face the future with a different attitude. Nothing catches God by surprise.

Maybe then we too can say, “Surely God was in this place and I was not aware of it” (Genesis 28:13).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

A Good Funeral

As I write this article, it is Monday morning and I am getting ready to go to a funeral. As I think about the day ahead, I am not anticipating a sad day. There will be sadness in it, some tears will be shed for sure, but this will be a day of celebration. For as long as I have known them, and for many years before that, George and his wife Doris have been faithful followers of Christ. Their faith was not just something that they talked about or something that they had in name only. Rather, it was something that influenced how they lived, what they valued and how they saw their entire lives. George was not a very vocal man, but he was influential. His home was always open to anyone who needed a meal or a place to stay. In fact, that is how I first met them. When I was an intern, preaching in the town of Wawota , I stayed with George and Doris. When our Bible camp needed a place to go for a hayride, George and Doris were the first ...