Skip to main content

The Joy of Second Chances

This past week, the world watched as workers brought thirty three Chilean miners back to the surface after they had spent seventy days underground. The scene at the mine was nothing short of impressive. Wives hugged husbands. Children and mothers cried as they awaited the arrival of the next miner. People celebrated and church bells rang.

More impressive, maybe, were the words spoken by the men. For example, Mario Sepulveda Espina said, “Life is short. In one minute you can lose it. In one minute it can all be gone. Don’t worry so much about money. Live your life. Live every second of it.” Suddenly, little things were important. Hugging their families, or seeing their sons became a big deal. In fact, just having another day to live was worth celebrating. Things change when you get a second chance to live your life.

In Acts chapter 8, a follower of Jesus, named Philip, meets a man from Ethiopia. This man was reading from the book of Isaiah and he was confused, so it says, “Philip began with that very passage of Scripture and told him the good news about Jesus” (verse 35). Then they came to some water and the man said, “’Look, here is water. Why shouldn't I be baptized?’ And he gave orders to stop the chariot. Then both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water and Philip baptized him” (verses 36-38). The best part, though, is verse 39 where it says that the man “Went on his way rejoicing”.

At its heart, faith is not about rules, laws, books or actions. Rather, it is about the chance to start your life over again. It is about forgiveness, wiping the slate clean and seeing things differently so that we can live differently. It is about “going on your way rejoicing”.

As the Chilean miners reminded us, second chances and “rebirth” are worth celebrating.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

Don’t Be a Tourist

                  From the moment that God told Abraham to leave his home and follow him (Genesis 12:1-3), God’s people have understood that they are on a journey.                 That being true, the essential question becomes, “How are you making that journey?”   T here are two options: You can be a tourist or you can be a pilgrim.                   Tourists leave their real life behind for a little while so that they can visit another place.   Generally, they travel in groups and do not mix much with the local people.   They hit the highlights of various regions, but they do not really experience what it is like to live in that part of t...