Skip to main content

Brave Enough to Try

“For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline” (2 Timothy 1:7).

I have always heard that verse applied to either “evangelism”, or “preaching” with the emphasis being placed on the need for “boldness” in both. The idea being that we are not to be scared to share what we believe. That is not a bad lesson to take from this verse, but I do not think it is the only one, or even the most accurate one.

What if Paul’s real concern is that Timothy is too timid for his own good? Maybe Timothy is missing out on God’s blessings by being too cautious and not trusting God enough. If that is the case, then this verse takes on a completely new meaning.

Consider the context: Paul writes, “I have been reminded of your sincere faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice and, I am persuaded, now lives in you also” (verse 5). Paul sees in Timothy that same spark, that same faith, that he saw in the rest of his family. At least he is “persuaded” it is there. Maybe it is not quite what it should be yet. Maybe Timothy is holding himself back and is not living up to his full potential.

This thought becomes more plausible as we read on. “For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God” (verses 6). Each of us has been around a campfire or a fireplace that had the beginnings of a fire in it. You can imagine the crumbled paper and the smoldering sticks. What do you do to get a fire like that going? You blow on it or you “fan it into flame”. Timothy needs to be “on fire” and, apparently, at the moment, he is not.

That, then, is why Paul reminds Timothy that, “We do not have a spirit of timidity” (verse 7). We are not meant to “hold back” in our faith. We are not meant to be scared. Every time we hesitate and do not do the good we know we should, we miss out on an opportunity and the blessing we would have received.

To state it positively, Timothy needs to throw himself into his faith, into loving and caring for people and into his own self-training and discipline. Only when he does that, will he see faith grow in himself and in others.

God still works with those who are brave enough to try.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

A Good Funeral

As I write this article, it is Monday morning and I am getting ready to go to a funeral. As I think about the day ahead, I am not anticipating a sad day. There will be sadness in it, some tears will be shed for sure, but this will be a day of celebration. For as long as I have known them, and for many years before that, George and his wife Doris have been faithful followers of Christ. Their faith was not just something that they talked about or something that they had in name only. Rather, it was something that influenced how they lived, what they valued and how they saw their entire lives. George was not a very vocal man, but he was influential. His home was always open to anyone who needed a meal or a place to stay. In fact, that is how I first met them. When I was an intern, preaching in the town of Wawota , I stayed with George and Doris. When our Bible camp needed a place to go for a hayride, George and Doris were the first ...