Skip to main content

Grocery store or Fair rides?

With all due respect, there is a huge difference between standing in line at the grocery store and standing in line for a ride at the fair.

At the grocery store, the wait is boring. At the fair, you stare at the ride and anticipate what it is going to be like when you get to go on. At the store, the goal is to get through the line as quickly as possible, so you choose your line based on the number of people in it and how many items they are purchasing. At the fair, the length of the line is often irrelevant, because you choose your line based what is at the end (the ride).

When you finally do get to the head of the line at the grocery store, there is no fanfare and it is not that interesting. You pay for your stuff and move on. At the fair, the head of the line means all kinds of things such as: excitement, fear, ups and downs, laugher, screams, having your stomach in your throat and "hanging on for the ride".

Unfortunately, for too many people, faith is more like the grocery store than the fair. It is more hum-drum than exciting. However, as I read the about the early church, their experience was anything but boring. Think, for example, about the women who went to Christ’s tomb that first resurrection Sunday. Getting up at dawn, they did not expect anything miraculous to happen that day. They were simply going to pay their last respects to someone they loved. Soon, though, they found an unguarded tomb, an open entrance and an angel who said, “Do not be afraid, for I know that you are looking for Jesus, who was crucified. He is not here; he has risen” (Matthew 28:5-6). That event, that message, changed everything. Suddenly, they were no longer simply dragging themselves to the tomb to do their duty. Instead, they found themselves “hanging on for the ride” that God had planned from the beginning of time.

Those involved with the resurrection and the early church were not “asleep in the pew”. They were excited, anticipating and engaged in what God was doing in, through and around them.

Maybe it is time to rethink our faith. Maybe we need to read the “old story” with new eyes. Maybe then we would catch some of the same joy and enthusiasm that those earlier followers experienced. Maybe we would even find something worth sharing with others.

Faith is too important for it to be boring.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

A Good Funeral

As I write this article, it is Monday morning and I am getting ready to go to a funeral. As I think about the day ahead, I am not anticipating a sad day. There will be sadness in it, some tears will be shed for sure, but this will be a day of celebration. For as long as I have known them, and for many years before that, George and his wife Doris have been faithful followers of Christ. Their faith was not just something that they talked about or something that they had in name only. Rather, it was something that influenced how they lived, what they valued and how they saw their entire lives. George was not a very vocal man, but he was influential. His home was always open to anyone who needed a meal or a place to stay. In fact, that is how I first met them. When I was an intern, preaching in the town of Wawota , I stayed with George and Doris. When our Bible camp needed a place to go for a hayride, George and Doris were the first ...