Skip to main content

Knocked Down but not Out


            The book of Mark is the shortest and possibly the oldest of the gospel records.  In fact, most of what Mark records can be found in Matthew, Luke or John.  However, Mark does include a few unique details and phrases.  One of the most beautiful of which can be found in his account of the resurrection.

            On that Sunday morning, when the women reached Jesus’ empty tomb, they met a young man dressed in a white robe (presumably an angel) and he said, “Don’t be alarmed.  You are looking for Jesus the Nazarene, who was crucified.  He has risen!  He is not here.  See the place where they laid him”.  

Then comes one of the nicest, two word phrases in all of scripture: “But go, tell his disciples AND PETER” (Mark 16:6-7).
             
           You may remember that Peter’s failure had been the most obvious and the most blatant. Sure, everyone else deserted Jesus at the cross, but it was Peter who denied even knowing him – three times!  Worse than that, Jesus told Peter ahead of time that this was going to happen to which Peter vowed, “Even if all fall away, I will not” (Mark 14:29)… but he did.
  
          Maybe that is why God’s messenger makes it clear that Peter is to be told the good news of the resurrection personally.  Maybe God wanted to make sure that Peter knew that his failure had not disqualified him from the kingdom.

           I like that little phrase, “and Peter”, because it reminds me that I serve a gracious and compassionate God.  God certainly demands that I live a life worthy of the calling I have received (Ephesians 4:1), but he also provides his grace for the times that I don’t.
  
          From this point on, Peter is a different man.  He goes from fearful to bold and from denying to proclaiming.  He preaches the first gospel sermon (Acts 2) and he is the leader in the early church.
  
          Now, I do not know what you have been through in your life, or what you think you have failed at or could have done better.  I do know this though; you have not disqualified yourself from the kingdom of God or from God’s love.  Like the Prodigal Son we can all come back.  We can turn around.  We can repent and start again.
   
         Who knows?  Maybe God has great plans for you too. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

Don’t Be a Tourist

                  From the moment that God told Abraham to leave his home and follow him (Genesis 12:1-3), God’s people have understood that they are on a journey.                 That being true, the essential question becomes, “How are you making that journey?”   T here are two options: You can be a tourist or you can be a pilgrim.                   Tourists leave their real life behind for a little while so that they can visit another place.   Generally, they travel in groups and do not mix much with the local people.   They hit the highlights of various regions, but they do not really experience what it is like to live in that part of t...