Skip to main content

Perfect Posture

 
            Jesus is in the temple courts when the religious leaders bring a woman to him and say, “Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery.  In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women.  Now what do you say?” (John 8:5).  They do this because they think that they can trap Jesus.  If he says, “She should be killed” then, not only would some of his followers be outraged, but so would the Romans who ruled the land.  They were the only ones who had the power to execute anyone.  However, if Jesus says, “Let her go”, then the Jewish people would accuse him of not following the law of God.  Jesus, though, avoids the trap by doing something completely unexpected.

“Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger” (Verse 6).  People often ask, “What did he write on the ground?”, but I think that is wrong question (As an aside, we are never told what he wrote).  To me, the real question is, “Why did he choose to bend down in the first place?”  I mean, he is in the middle of an angry mob!  You would think that, if anything, Jesus would “stand up” against these people.  Why does he bend low to the ground?

The answer:  because that is likely where the woman was!

Think about it.  She has been “caught in the act”, dragged out, humiliated in the most sacred and public place in town and now the people are gathering stones with which to kill her.  Where is the woman in this picture?  Though scripture says that she is “standing” before Jesus, you can well imagine that she is cowering near the ground; and that is where Jesus meets her.  He assumes a physical position that communicates his figurative position.  One that says, “It is ok!  I am with you.  I am on your side”. 

Jesus’ posture speaks volumes and I think it is a lesson for us.  If we are ever going to share the message of God with others, we have to assume a posture that gives us a hearing.  We must look more like the crouching Jesus than the angry mob.  As one author says, “If your posture (or approach) is wrong, you will always be perceived as an enemy or a judge” and if that happens, the message is likely finished before it starts.

The story ends with Jesus telling the woman to, “Go now and leave your life of sin”.  He does not shy away from telling her that she needs to change, but he does it in a way that she wants to hear it.  He says it as a friend, not as a foe.

Posture is important!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

Don’t Be a Tourist

                  From the moment that God told Abraham to leave his home and follow him (Genesis 12:1-3), God’s people have understood that they are on a journey.                 That being true, the essential question becomes, “How are you making that journey?”   T here are two options: You can be a tourist or you can be a pilgrim.                   Tourists leave their real life behind for a little while so that they can visit another place.   Generally, they travel in groups and do not mix much with the local people.   They hit the highlights of various regions, but they do not really experience what it is like to live in that part of t...