Skip to main content

Response Time


            A strange thing happened at the Bruins’ game last night.  In the middle of the game, the fire alarm went off.  The funny part was that no one moved.  Everyone just sat in their seats or continued to wait in line at the concession.  In fact, the game continued for several minutes until the referees finally halted play until the staff at the rink shut the alarm off again.  Overall, it was sort of odd. 

            Now compare that reaction to the one at the fire hall.  As soon as a call comes in, firefighters spring into action, right?  They slide down a pole so as to not waste precious seconds on the stairs.  Their trucks are packed and ready to roll.  They never have to call back and say, “We will be right there.  We just have to go fill the truck up with gas first”.   Firefighters never look outside and say, “You know, we just waxed the truck and the street looks really slushy and dirty.  Maybe we can go to the fire after everything dries up”.   When a call comes in, firefighters get to the scene as quickly as possible.  Delays and excuses are unacceptable. 
  
           Last week I was reading about a man named Barak.  In Judges 4, he is told, “The Lord, the God of Israel, commands you: ‘Go, take with you ten thousand men… to Mount Tabor’” (Verse 6).  There he was to fight against God’s enemies and protect the people. 

            Instead of going, though, Barak refuses.  He does not take God at his word and he does not listen to the command.  Eventually, he agrees to go, but only if Deborah the prophetess goes with him (verse 8).  In the end, God gives his people the victory that he promised, but Barak forfeits the blessing that he should have received.  Instead of being the hero, the honour went to a woman named Jael (verse 9).

           All of this has me thinking that our response to God is important.  I believe that God calls us into his service in many situations and in various ways.  If that is true, the key question is not, “What is God asking you to do?” but, “How are you responding?”   Are you ready to go, or are you waiting?  Are you filled with confidence or excuses? Are you ignoring the alarm, or are you jumping to action?

            We cannot earn our salvation, but our response to the call of God is important. Ultimately, our response will determine whether we hear, “Well done, good and faithful servant” (Matthew 25:21) or not.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

A Good Funeral

As I write this article, it is Monday morning and I am getting ready to go to a funeral. As I think about the day ahead, I am not anticipating a sad day. There will be sadness in it, some tears will be shed for sure, but this will be a day of celebration. For as long as I have known them, and for many years before that, George and his wife Doris have been faithful followers of Christ. Their faith was not just something that they talked about or something that they had in name only. Rather, it was something that influenced how they lived, what they valued and how they saw their entire lives. George was not a very vocal man, but he was influential. His home was always open to anyone who needed a meal or a place to stay. In fact, that is how I first met them. When I was an intern, preaching in the town of Wawota , I stayed with George and Doris. When our Bible camp needed a place to go for a hayride, George and Doris were the first ...