Skip to main content

On the Street or in the Window?



           In the Old Testament, the “ark of the covenant” was the most important symbol that God’s people possessed.  When this rectangular, gold covered box with the two angels on top was nearby, God’s presence was with them in a special way.  It is easy, then, to understand why, when David became king, he wanted the ark brought to his new capital, Jerusalem.

           As the ark entered the city, a great celebration broke out.  In fact, we are told that David “danced with all his might” and that the people “brought up the ark with shouts” (2 Samuel 6:15).  They offered sacrifices.  They had a feast.  The Lord’s blessing was given.  Everyone was rejoicing.

            Well, not quite everyone.  “As the ark was entering the city, Michal (David’s wife)… watched from a window.  And when she saw King David leaping and dancing before the Lord, she despised him in her heart” (verse 16).

            How could that be?  How could the same event make David so excited and his wife so angry?  Why did they react so differently?

            Well, Michal and David were trying to please different audiences. 

            When David came home after the celebrations, Michal sarcastically said, “How the King of Israel has distinguished himself today!”  She thought that he had embarrassed himself by running around among the common people.  She thought it was wrong that he was out there without his robe and crown acting like “any vulgar fellow would!” (Verse 20)  In modern language she was asking, “What would people think?”

            I love David’s response.  “It was before the Lord… I will celebrate before the Lord” (verse 21).  He goes on to say, “I will become even more undignified than this”.  In other words, “You ain’t seen nothing yet!”   David was going to celebrate the things of God whether anyone else approved or not.  As long as God was happy with him, he was not concerned that others might think that he was “foolish”. 

            David’s audience was “God”.  Unfortunately, Michal’s audience was “everyone else”. 

            Sadly, this is not the only time in scripture that we see someone choosing the wrong audience.  In the New Testament we read, “Many among the leaders believed in Him (Jesus).  But … they would not confess their faith… for they loved praise from men more than praise from God” (John 12:42-43).

            So, the question becomes, “Where are you in this story?”   If you were there, you would be on the street celebrating with David, or would you be hiding behind the curtain in the window with Michal? 

            Who is your audience? 

            The answer to that question makes all the difference.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I've been surfing online more than 3 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It is pretty worth enough for me. In my opinion, if all website owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the net will be much more useful than ever before.
Anonymous said…
Thanks for all of your work on this web page. I am looking forward to reading more of your posts in the future.

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

Don’t Be a Tourist

                  From the moment that God told Abraham to leave his home and follow him (Genesis 12:1-3), God’s people have understood that they are on a journey.                 That being true, the essential question becomes, “How are you making that journey?”   T here are two options: You can be a tourist or you can be a pilgrim.                   Tourists leave their real life behind for a little while so that they can visit another place.   Generally, they travel in groups and do not mix much with the local people.   They hit the highlights of various regions, but they do not really experience what it is like to live in that part of t...