Skip to main content

An Old-fashioned Idea



            “In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead, and in view of his appearing and his kingdom, I give you this charge: Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction” (2 Timothy 4:1-2).
  
          “Preach the word” is not a phrase that goes over well with many people today.  If we have convinced ourselves that there is no “right” or “wrong” and that “everything is ok, as long as it is ok for you”, then “the word” really has nothing to say. 

            Oddly, “Preach the word” does not always go over much better in church settings either.  These days, church discussions often center more around things like presentation, programs and performance than they do on the word.  “How” we do things often overshadows the “why”. 

            In both cases, inside and outside the church, “Preach the word” can come across as a very “Old-fashioned” idea.

            However, just because something is old-fashioned does not mean that it is not useful.  Lifejackets have been around for hundreds of years, but if you are going to throw me into a lake I want one.  Old-fashioned or not, a lifejacket is still useful and (the way I swim) necessary.

            As well, just because something is old-fashioned does not mean that it is not beautiful.  The sun always sets in the same way, but it is often spectacular.  You have been to many weddings, but each one is memorable.  It is the same with God’s message.  Though he has been calling for years, his invitation is still wonderful.  Isaiah says it this way:  “Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come, buy and eat… Seek the Lord while he may be found; call on him while he is near… Let them turn to the Lord, and he will have mercy on them, and to our God, for he will freely pardon” (Isaiah 55:1, 6-7).

            As Christian people, all we really have to offer is the message of God’s love.  Everything else that people find at church (friends, encouragement, programs) can be found elsewhere (in service clubs, sports teams, etc.).  It’s our message that sets us apart.  It is the hope that we have, based on the story of God, that makes us different.

            Never give up on the “old-fashioned” word of God.  It is still powerful!

            “For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart” (Hebrews 4:12).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

Don’t Be a Tourist

                  From the moment that God told Abraham to leave his home and follow him (Genesis 12:1-3), God’s people have understood that they are on a journey.                 That being true, the essential question becomes, “How are you making that journey?”   T here are two options: You can be a tourist or you can be a pilgrim.                   Tourists leave their real life behind for a little while so that they can visit another place.   Generally, they travel in groups and do not mix much with the local people.   They hit the highlights of various regions, but they do not really experience what it is like to live in that part of t...