Skip to main content

You Have No Idea What You Are Doing



            No one who takes the Bible seriously would say that parts of it are unnecessary.  After all, if it really is inspired, God must have had a reason for including the things that are in there.  Having said that, though, there certainly are some parts of the word that are “more interesting” or “less interesting” to read. 

            One of those “less interesting” sections is found at the start of Matthew’s gospel.  Here we find seventeen verses that include nothing but the names of 46 people who are in the lineage of Christ.  Some of the names are familiar (like Abraham, David and Joseph) and others are names that we do not know and can hardly pronounce (like “Abiud”). 

            It is tempting to skip the names and start reading at Matthew 1:18, but that would be a mistake.  We need that long list of names.  One reason for that is to remind us that God had a plan and that he keeps his promises.  It may take a long time, even many generations, but God will do what he said he would do.

            The other reason this list is important is that it reminds me that my life is important, even if I do not see the results right now.  Grab a Bible, look those people up and you will find that their lives were not always spectacular.  Some of them went through times of huge failure.  Some had all kinds of struggles.  Most, it seems, simply lived a boring, ordinary life. They were just there living their lives and doing the best they could.  Yet, because God had a plan to use them and their off-spring to bring his son into the world, they were part of something much bigger than themselves.

            This reminds me that most of us have no idea what we are doing (and I mean that in the best way).   You may think that you are not doing much, but maybe the little things you do are huge to someone.   You may think that your example does not matter, but your kindness and your words of cheer may remembered by someone long after you are gone.  Maybe God is preparing you for something you could never dream of or imagine.  Maybe the results of your life will not be known to you until eternity.  Who knows?

            I am fairly certain that “Abiud” (whoever he was) had no idea that we would still be talking about him in 2013.

            Your life, deeds, example and faith are more powerful than you know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

Don’t Be a Tourist

                  From the moment that God told Abraham to leave his home and follow him (Genesis 12:1-3), God’s people have understood that they are on a journey.                 That being true, the essential question becomes, “How are you making that journey?”   T here are two options: You can be a tourist or you can be a pilgrim.                   Tourists leave their real life behind for a little while so that they can visit another place.   Generally, they travel in groups and do not mix much with the local people.   They hit the highlights of various regions, but they do not really experience what it is like to live in that part of t...