Skip to main content

A Picture of Heaven and Why You Need One

            Over the years, Sears has spent countless time and money creating its “Christmas Wish Book”.  Think about all the planning, picture taking, organizing, printing and delivery effort it takes to put that catalogue out each year (especially back in the pre-computer days).  Why did they do it? 

            Obviously, Sears knew one thing:  Pictures matter.  A picture may be “worth a thousand words”, but in retail a picture is also “worth a few thousand sales”.  That is why you receive flyers at your door each week.  Retailers know that if they can get you to see their item, then you will likely be more interested in it.

            Of course, that strategy worked.  As a kid, I would spend hours looking at the toys in the “Wish Book” and then even more hours bugging my mom to buy them for me.  In particular, I remember a blue and yellow remote control airplane.  I stared at that picture for so long that even 33 years later I think I could recreate that airplane in exact detail.  Pictures matter!

            The Biblical writers also knew the value of pictures, even if theirs were “word pictures”, and one of their favorite subjects to “show” was heaven.  Consider this description from Hebrews 12:  “You have come to Mount Zion, to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem. You have come to thousands upon thousands of angels in joyful assembly, to the church of the firstborn, whose names are written in heaven. You have come to God, the Judge of all, to the spirits of the righteous made perfect, to Jesus the mediator of a new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood” (Verses 22-24).

            Can you imagine the “city of God”?   Can you see “thousands upon thousands of angels”?  Can you feel the joy of their worship?  (By the way, how did we ever come to decide that anything churchy had to be “funeral-like” when every Biblical picture of heaven is about “joy” and “celebration”?)  Can you see your name written in the book of life (Revelation 20) and the God who is just waiting for you to come home?  What do you think God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit and the angels look like? 

            Even if the image that you come up with is somewhat inaccurate and inadequate (no earthly words or images will do justice to spiritual things), it is important to have a picture of heaven, because pictures are motivating.  Dreaming of something now will cause us to alter our “todays” so that our dream comes true “tomorrow”.

           What does heaven look like to you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

A Good Funeral

As I write this article, it is Monday morning and I am getting ready to go to a funeral. As I think about the day ahead, I am not anticipating a sad day. There will be sadness in it, some tears will be shed for sure, but this will be a day of celebration. For as long as I have known them, and for many years before that, George and his wife Doris have been faithful followers of Christ. Their faith was not just something that they talked about or something that they had in name only. Rather, it was something that influenced how they lived, what they valued and how they saw their entire lives. George was not a very vocal man, but he was influential. His home was always open to anyone who needed a meal or a place to stay. In fact, that is how I first met them. When I was an intern, preaching in the town of Wawota , I stayed with George and Doris. When our Bible camp needed a place to go for a hayride, George and Doris were the first ...