Skip to main content

An Olympic-style Faith

            I just spent my lunch hour watching a men’s moguls race from the winter Olympics.  Each run lasted approximately 30 seconds and each skier got four attempts at the course.  At best, each of competitors had two minutes fulfill their dreams.

            Everyone likes the celebration and the fame that come with success.  In fact, I have heard that one of the best times to own a sports related business, like a gym or a ski hill, is around the time of the Olympics.  Watching others succeed causes us to want to accomplish similar things.  We are inspired by the result.

            However, we only get to see the two minutes and (possibly) the celebration that goes with them.  What we do not see are the years of training, sacrifice, injuries and the behind the scenes work that went into those two minutes.  Not surprisingly, I have also heard that most of those who are inspired by the Olympics quit their newfound exercise program within three months.  The training is way less fun than the celebrating, but, if you are going to be ready for “your moment”, you have to prepare beforehand.

            Similarly, spiritual outcomes are dependent upon whether we have prepared ourselves ahead of time or not.  For example, Timothy is told, “Train yourself to be godly.  For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come” (1 Timothy 4:7-8).  The end result will depend on his current actions.

            Jesus indicated that our most beneficial spiritual training will be done outside of the spotlight.  Giving to the needy should not be “announced with trumpets… to be honoured by men”.  Rather it should be done “in secret” and then “Your father who sees what is done in secret will reward you” (Matthew 6:1-4).  Our prayer times, rather than being public displays, should be private conversations (verses 5-15).  If you are fasting and meditating, don’t tell everyone.  Dress as you normally would and do what you would normally do.  It is not about an outward show, but an inward devotion (verses 16-18).

            The problem is that is it easy to be drawn into “the show”.  It is tempting to put our best two minutes of spirituality on display for all to see.  However, real change comes about in the quiet discipline of following God’s lead every day.  God changes my heart, not in the spectacular moments that everyone sees, but rather in the quiet times that only he sees. 

            The celebration is always dependent on the preparation done beforehand.

            When your moment comes, will you be ready?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

Don’t Be a Tourist

                  From the moment that God told Abraham to leave his home and follow him (Genesis 12:1-3), God’s people have understood that they are on a journey.                 That being true, the essential question becomes, “How are you making that journey?”   T here are two options: You can be a tourist or you can be a pilgrim.                   Tourists leave their real life behind for a little while so that they can visit another place.   Generally, they travel in groups and do not mix much with the local people.   They hit the highlights of various regions, but they do not really experience what it is like to live in that part of t...