Skip to main content

A New Story

               “You are fat!”
                Those three words became the story that my friend’s fourteen-year-old daughter told herself.  In fact, she believed that story so strongly that this once bubbly, happy, certainly not overweight, young woman began struggling with her self-esteem and, eventually, became anorexic.
                What would have happened had she believed a different story?  What if “You are amazing”, or “You are smart”, or “You are beautiful” were the words that shaped her? 
Stories are powerful and what we do with them can have long-term effects.
                Jesus knew the power of stories.  In fact, most of his teaching falls into a category that we call “parables” which are simple stories with a point.  However, Jesus used stories in another, even more powerful way: He told new stories!
                One day a group of religious leaders came to him and said, “We caught this woman in the act of adultery.  What should we do with her?”  Jesus quietly reminded the group to examine their own lives and not hers. Then he turned to the woman and said, “I do not condemn you. Go now and leave your life of sin” (John 8).
                Another time, he met a woman who had a bad reputation, but he ignored what everyone thought about her and instead talked to her about “living water” and new beginnings.  She became a believer and then told the whole town about the man who changed her life (John 4).
                A man named Zacchaeus wanted to catch of glimpse of Jesus as he passed through town, but no one would let him to the front of the line.  He was a tax collector and a cheat and everyone disliked him.  When Jesus spotted him and said, “I must stay at your house today”, everyone was angry because he was going to the house of a “sinner”.  In the end, though, that sinner gave his heart and his possessions to God (Luke 19).
                The point is simple:  When others were telling stories about what people had done, Jesus was telling stories about what they could become. 
                Jesus focused on hope, new life and new creations.  We will be his messengers when we tell those stories too.
                “God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God” (2 Corinthians 5:21).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

A Good Funeral

As I write this article, it is Monday morning and I am getting ready to go to a funeral. As I think about the day ahead, I am not anticipating a sad day. There will be sadness in it, some tears will be shed for sure, but this will be a day of celebration. For as long as I have known them, and for many years before that, George and his wife Doris have been faithful followers of Christ. Their faith was not just something that they talked about or something that they had in name only. Rather, it was something that influenced how they lived, what they valued and how they saw their entire lives. George was not a very vocal man, but he was influential. His home was always open to anyone who needed a meal or a place to stay. In fact, that is how I first met them. When I was an intern, preaching in the town of Wawota , I stayed with George and Doris. When our Bible camp needed a place to go for a hayride, George and Doris were the first ...