Skip to main content

The Place for Grace

   The best stories often have an unexpected twist. That is certainly the case in Jesus’ story about the Pharisee and the tax-collector (Luke 18:9-14).
   Pharisees were the religious leaders and they were considered the best people in town. They knew God’s law and followed it meticulously. Tax collectors, on the other hand, were among the most hated people. They often collected more money than they should and they were considered traitors because they worked for the Roman government.
   To Jesus’ original audience, it would have been obvious that the Pharisee was the good guy and the tax collector was the bad guy.
   The Pharisee went to the temple and prayed, “God, I thank you that I am not like other men – robbers, evildoers, adulterers – or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week and I give a tenth of all I get” (verse 12). He is a good guy!
    The tax collector was so bad that he could not even look to heaven and so he prayed, “God, have mercy on me, a sinner” (verse 13).
   Then Jesus dropped the bombshell: “I tell you that this man (the evil tax collector), rather than the other (the righteous Pharisee), went home justified (made right/blessed) before God” (verse 14). What?
    The Pharisee’s problem was that he was good and he knew it! In fact, he trusted in his own goodness. The tax collector knew that that his only hope was to trust in the grace of God and because of that, he was blessed.
    Sometimes Christians act as if they do not need God’s grace any more. They treat grace like the starter in a car. It gets thing going, but then the engine runs by itself. However, grace is not the thing that gets you going so that you can be good on your own. Grace is actually the engine! Grace is the thing that keeps you going in God’s kingdom because your own goodness is not good enough.
    We never outgrow our need for grace.
    Fortunately, God’s grace is never-ending.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

A Good Funeral

As I write this article, it is Monday morning and I am getting ready to go to a funeral. As I think about the day ahead, I am not anticipating a sad day. There will be sadness in it, some tears will be shed for sure, but this will be a day of celebration. For as long as I have known them, and for many years before that, George and his wife Doris have been faithful followers of Christ. Their faith was not just something that they talked about or something that they had in name only. Rather, it was something that influenced how they lived, what they valued and how they saw their entire lives. George was not a very vocal man, but he was influential. His home was always open to anyone who needed a meal or a place to stay. In fact, that is how I first met them. When I was an intern, preaching in the town of Wawota , I stayed with George and Doris. When our Bible camp needed a place to go for a hayride, George and Doris were the first ...