Skip to main content

A Step in the Right Direction

                Many people think that God is harsh, mean and demanding.  As evidence of this, they point to incidences where people did not follow the exact letter of the law and God punished them on the spot.  While those stories do exist, let me tell you a different story.
                For years, God’s people had neglected him.  Then, in 715 BC, a new king, a 25-year-old named Hezekiah, came to the throne.  He re-opened the temple and invited everyone to Jerusalem to celebrate the great feast called “Passover”.  There were a few problems though.
                First, they had waited too long.  Passover was to be held on the fourteenth day of the first month of the year.  That date was too close, so they decided that they would celebrate on the fourteenth day of the second month instead (2 Chronicles 30:2).
                Second, God’s instructions clearly stated that the people must offer their own sacrifice.  Unfortunately, the people had not performed the proper cleansing rituals leading up to the feast.  Therefore, the Levites had to kill the Passover lambs for them (verse 17).
                Lastly, the same uncleanliness that kept them from offering the sacrifice should have disqualified them from eating it.  However, Hezekiah told them to eat it anyway (verse 18).
                To recap, they celebrated at the wrong time, the sacrifice was offered incorrectly and they ate the meal even though they should be disqualified.  You would expect God to be mad, right? 
                No!  In fact, scripture says that, “God heard… and healed his people” (verse 20).   What happened to the mean God who hates anything done incorrectly?
                Well, God is not mean.  He is good!  God will punish those who are rebellious, but that was not the case here.  In fact, their hearts were set on seeking God (verse 19).  They did not do everything perfectly, but God has always been more concerned about a proper heart than proper actions.
                We ought to listen to God and do what he says.  Sloppiness is never good.  But, do not let the fact that you will not get everything right the first time keep you from doing the good thing you know that you should do.  God will celebrate your faltering, incorrect, stumbling steps if they are leading you closer to him. 
                “Draw near to God and he will draw near to you” (James 4:8).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

A Good Funeral

As I write this article, it is Monday morning and I am getting ready to go to a funeral. As I think about the day ahead, I am not anticipating a sad day. There will be sadness in it, some tears will be shed for sure, but this will be a day of celebration. For as long as I have known them, and for many years before that, George and his wife Doris have been faithful followers of Christ. Their faith was not just something that they talked about or something that they had in name only. Rather, it was something that influenced how they lived, what they valued and how they saw their entire lives. George was not a very vocal man, but he was influential. His home was always open to anyone who needed a meal or a place to stay. In fact, that is how I first met them. When I was an intern, preaching in the town of Wawota , I stayed with George and Doris. When our Bible camp needed a place to go for a hayride, George and Doris were the first ...