Skip to main content

Small Actions have Great Value

                Not long after Jesus’ death, burial and resurrection, so many people were becoming Christians that the leaders in Jerusalem decided that they needed to act.  They had some of the church leaders put to death and others, like Peter, were arrested (Acts 12:2). 
                Late one night, God freed Peter from the prison (see Acts 12:1-10) and, once he was outside, he knew exactly what to do.  “He went to the house of Mary the mother of John, also called Mark, where many people had gathered and were praying” (verse 12).  That one little reference raises several points.
                First, how did Peter know where to go?  There are only two answers: either someone told him that they were meeting at Mary’s house, or that is where they always met.  Either way, in a time when Christians were being arrested and even executed, it is remarkable that Mary still had the courage to say, “Regardless of what happens, or who finds out, we can meet here!” 
                Second, note what the church was doing when Peter arrived:  They were praying for him (Acts 12:5 and 12).  In all my years in the church, I can think of only a couple of times when we have come together to pray about a specific problem or concern.  That is odd, is it not?  On the other hand, Mary seemed convinced that group prayer would get a response from God.  Not surprisingly, it did. 
                Third, we are told that she is the mother of John Mark.  He is the young man that went with Paul and Barnabas on their first journey (Acts 13-14) and he is also the one who wrote the Biblical book called “Mark”.  In other words, Mary passed her belief on to her son and then he wrote the first detailed account of the life of Jesus.   Mark’s gospel has blessed millions and, of course, it is still being read today.    
                It would be very easy to overlook this woman named Mary.  She is not the main character in the story.  In fact, she is only mentioned this one time in this one verse.  However, that one verse tells us that her faithful example had an impact on those around her.  In fact, it is still having an impact today.
                Do what you can where you are, because little is much in the hands of God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

A Good Funeral

As I write this article, it is Monday morning and I am getting ready to go to a funeral. As I think about the day ahead, I am not anticipating a sad day. There will be sadness in it, some tears will be shed for sure, but this will be a day of celebration. For as long as I have known them, and for many years before that, George and his wife Doris have been faithful followers of Christ. Their faith was not just something that they talked about or something that they had in name only. Rather, it was something that influenced how they lived, what they valued and how they saw their entire lives. George was not a very vocal man, but he was influential. His home was always open to anyone who needed a meal or a place to stay. In fact, that is how I first met them. When I was an intern, preaching in the town of Wawota , I stayed with George and Doris. When our Bible camp needed a place to go for a hayride, George and Doris were the first ...