Skip to main content

Consider This: The Cost of Coasting



In the fall of 1989, when our Bible college and high school moved from North Weyburn, Saskatchewan to Dauphin, Manitoba, a bunch of us decided to mark the occasion by doing a torch relay.  We built a bonfire at the old campus, lit a torch, put the torch on a mountain bike and headed to Dauphin.
 

For the first few hours, everyone was excited about riding the bike.  Then the excitement wore off.  Instead of getting on the bike and pedalling against the wind, some decided to stay in the nice warm van that was following along.  
 

Eventually, we came to the Fort Qu’appelle hill.  I was on the bike, and seeing this hill made me smile.  It was long and steep, and the highway was in good condition.  It was perfect for coasting!  If I remember correctly, the driver of the van said that I was going more than 30 mph when I hit the bottom of the hill.  It felt even faster.  Coasting downhill was great!
 

However, there was a problem.  Once the highway levelled out, I began to slow down.  Eventually, I stopped.  Then we had to do the hard work of riding the bike up and out of the valley again.
 

Coasting is fun while it lasts.  However, it is not sustainable.  
 

Many seem to believe that coasting is the goal!  They dream of a time when they have no responsibilities and nothing to do.  That is fun for a month or two, but eventually, we realize that coasting is not that interesting or challenging.  
 

Everyone needs a reason to get out of bed in the morning.  Everyone needs a challenge and a vision of something bigger than themselves.  We are built to be contributors, not coasters.
 

“Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labour in the Lord is not in vain” (1 Corinthians 15:58).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Terrible Trade

            I used to have a Wayne Gretzky rookie card.               However, when I was 12 years old I did not like Wayne Gretzky, so I traded the card to my brother.   A few years ago, I remembered that incident, so I went looking for the card. Sure enough, there is was in a box in my mom’s basement.   Now here is the thing:   even in bad shape, Gretzky rookie cards sell for around $250.   Needless to say, that was not a good trade on my part.   I simply did not recognize what I had and so I traded away something valuable for something with almost no value at all.             With that in mind, notice how the letter to the Galatians starts: “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which...

Navigating Life's Transitions: Finding the good when nothing stays the same

Things change. Always. The question isn't "How do we stop that?", but rather, "What are we supposed to learn from it?"  https://youtu.be/ECxnQwRFyXI  

Don’t Be a Tourist

                  From the moment that God told Abraham to leave his home and follow him (Genesis 12:1-3), God’s people have understood that they are on a journey.                 That being true, the essential question becomes, “How are you making that journey?”   T here are two options: You can be a tourist or you can be a pilgrim.                   Tourists leave their real life behind for a little while so that they can visit another place.   Generally, they travel in groups and do not mix much with the local people.   They hit the highlights of various regions, but they do not really experience what it is like to live in that part of t...